Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2003, 03:45 PM   #31
mgreene is offline mgreene  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Want CD PRO2 but have questions

Hi Peter, et al,

Regarding this project, I am very interested in as much as my current CDP is on its last legs but I am unsure about the following:

1. What will be the recommended DAC for this project?

2. What will be needed other than the CD PRO and a chassis to make this a remote controlled CDP with sound quality rivaling the high priced spread - say retail products selling for over $10K US?

3. I have not seen any reviews that directly compare DACs like the DACKIT to really high end players like the various Accuphases and Bats, etc., - which I have heard.

Did anyone see the review of the 47 Labs player in Stereophile this month (not that I expect anyone to take it all that seriously, but it is all that I have to go on at this point)? Would we be able to better the performance - DAC wise - of this player which the reviewer did not, hands down, recommend over the Sony 777?

4. To sum it up, I guess what I am asking is can we expect, with this project, to come out with a very very high-end sounding player?

Thanks

Mike
Old 6th March 2003, 02:06 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What will be the recommended DAC for this project?
I think that since there are so many different tastes and choices in DACs, that decision is really being left to each individual. That said, I think if someone were to offer boards for a high-end DAC design to go with the CD-Pro2, there might be considerable interest.

Quote:
What will be needed other than the CD PRO and a chassis to make this a remote controlled CDP with sound quality rivaling the high priced spread - say retail products selling for over $10K US?
My understanding is that all that's really needed in addition to the CD-Pro2 kit and a chassis is a power supply board(s) and a high-end DAC to make a complete high-end player. (I think the CD-Pro2 module already includes an on-board TDA1305-based DAC, but I don't think most people consider that high end.)

Quote:
To sum it up, I guess what I am asking is can we expect, with this project, to come out with a very very high-end sounding player?
I wouldn't be planning to buy a CD-Pro2 transport kit(s) if I believed otherwise.
Old 7th March 2003, 05:01 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

This may be a stupid question as I have no understanding of electronics, but I'll ask anyway.

Would it be possible to use the power supply from the DACT website?
Old 7th March 2003, 05:10 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You need supplies at 5V and 9 or 10 V. If it feets the bill, I don't see a reason not to use it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th March 2003, 05:18 AM   #35
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Peter do you have a schematic for your DAC? I noticed you have balanced outputs as well. Are you using the SPDIF to drive your DAC?

Thanks

Anthony
Old 7th March 2003, 05:37 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
My curent DAC is modern upsamplic design, based on PCM1704 and DF1704. It does not have balanced outputs and is connected with CD by spdif. New DAC is coming eventually. If you are interested I can send you schematic tomorrow. It's Broadhurst DAC.

On a player you see balanced outputs, but they are not in use yet. I was thinking about the future only
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th March 2003, 06:14 AM   #37
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
My curent DAC is modern upsamplic design, based on PCM1704 and DF1704. It does not have balanced outputs and is connected with CD by spdif. New DAC is coming eventually. If you are interested I can send you schematic tomorrow. It's Broadhurst DAC.

On a player you see balanced outputs, but they are not in use yet. I was thinking about the future only
I would be happy with any help you can offer, please send that new schematic you mentioned.

Thanks

Anthony
Old 7th March 2003, 04:07 PM   #38
mgreene is offline mgreene  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the reply RPELL

I did not realize that there was another thread for the CD-pro2 when I wrote the above.

Mike
Old 14th March 2003, 02:50 PM   #39
musical is offline musical  Australia
diyAudio Member

Can it be arranged such that the unit is shipped directly to Australia? Otherwise, we might have to pay double taxes & shipping.

There is already one entry in the wiki page from Australia and I want one too.
Old 19th March 2003, 06:12 PM   #40
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default mounting

Peter,

Have you any ideas if you will be offering the mounting for the cdp that you mentioned? And also the cost? I am making a cd pro 2 soon, and maybe interested in getting the alu - mounting for the transport from you.

Thanks
Raj

Hide this!Advertise here!