Need EXPERTS on budget to mid level cd players. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2008, 05:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to garage1217 Send a message via Yahoo to garage1217
Default Need EXPERTS on budget to mid level cd players.

I have read a lot of posts on here of mods to players and such. Many of the parts kits are for much more advanced electronics experts I feel that seem to not include any instructions, just the parts. I flat out am a novice at mods like these but have excellent soldering skills. If you can be so kind as to recommend me a CD player that is well beyond a shelf unit stock or modified, that would be great! Or does anyone on this forum mod players for people..? I am starting to collect a few higher end cd's playback wise and want player that can play them to full potential.

- What brand budget to mid level player would you recommend "$500 and under"?
- Do you know of a mod kit for the recommended player that has easy to follow instructions or photo instructions for noobs?

I have looked into a shanling scd-s300 solid state player... or a modified oppo...

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Just a side note, my equipment so far....
- Peter Daniels lm4780 dual mono chip amps "in progress, post in the chip amp section about the build"
- Zaph ZD5's "order drivers as soon as tax money comes in"
- Transcendent sound GG preamp. "After a listen and review, I am hooked!"
- Custom 10" subs being built for stereo use
- Amps for subs... still searching / want to use DIY amps..
- On the fence about passive crossovers or active for subs / zd5's
Old 6th February 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default How about $50 and under

Check the Playstation as CD player thread PS1 CD Player You can't beat it for the money. I currently use mine unmodified through the A/V Multi Out and have very few complaints.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responce Yes I have read up on the playstation and will consider it. Looking for more of a.... standard style cd player though... but if I cannot find what I want then will look at the ps1
Old 7th February 2008, 04:18 AM   #4
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
How about the NAD c541i? Really good player in it's own right, and quite easy to modify. Should be about $100 on eBay.
Old 7th February 2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How about a Marantz CD67? I have one and it responds fantastically well to mods. Check out the huge CD63/CD67 thread for all the info you could ever need. As for cheap mods, these guys regs and clocks are awesome:

http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/

Regards,

Lee.
Old 19th February 2008, 03:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Made my decision to go with the oppo 980H. Got to sample one locally and for the money and anything I have heard bone stock going for 5x that much, I could not be anymore happy. Heck if they sold it for $600 I would slap down the cash and it would still be my choice *LOL* Such a treat that they make such a stellar SQ player for so little coin.

Also my 981hd has simply been great. Movies look stellar on my 65"hd and it has never let me down. Rock solid product so I am happy to support the company.

Hide this!Advertise here!