TEAC VRDS CD T1 gear broken

TEAC VRDS 7 gear broken

The 2 step gear arrived and I fixed it into Vrds 7. The drawer now works as good as it was designed for.

However, new problem crops us. The Spindle motor doesn't run. It tries to turn and then stops.

The sequence of events are as follows :- ( apologies for long winded description of the issue )

1. Open drawer by pressing the open button ( works on remote too )

2. Load CD into tray.

3. The laser unit moves in to read the CD.

4. Spindle motor tries to turn ( sometimes turn but very slow )
- At times there are small sparks in the motor too while it turn )

5. The laser unit moves back into it's parking position.

I measured the voltage into the spindle motor and there is 5.5V when the laser is parked under the CD tray to read. The 5.5V will disappear once the laser unit moves back into it's parking position.

I should be replacing the Spindle motor and I am not sure if this motor will do as I cannot source for the original Teac motor.

Motor Spin RF310T11400 23mm 5.9v (Universal)

Any input / advise is most appreciated and welcome.

regards
rusty

It's usually just a matter of giving a healthy shot of a silicone-based spray lub into the slots in the motor near the brushes, then helping the motor spin up the first time. Once the motor runs a while, the silicone helps dislodge the culprit carbon deposits & prevents them building up again. I've never had to replace one of these motors, either in a Teac-made mech or in the Pioneer stable platter mechs that Teac TOTALLY ripped off to make the VRDS.

broken teeth

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but have been lurking as a guest for a while.
I am very happy for my Copland cda288, and have had some P500 and vrds10 before.
Tonight I have had the teac broken teeth syndrome too...
My wife pressed eject, took the cd out, and when closing, it had a strange sound, then rattleing for two tries, and then the drawer could not move any more, and being closed.
I removed cables, pulled the cover and turned on the PC, to find this thread.
Following the instructions, and the little spring should be turned a little inwards, so to release the drawer, likewise press the bladespring in the left side in the same time, I could take out the drawer.
Next, I removed the black plasticbridge, took the four screws for the whole metal plate with the drive off, out came the drive, and then the little screw in front that holds the 2step gear and the rubber band drive from the motor in place, I turned the big black wheel a little, so it came off the spring tension, removed the screw, then lifted the round black rubber band wheel a little, and I could sneak the broken gear out, one tooth down and two teeth on top missing, which were lyeing besides the gear.
Now I would like to ask for updated parts? Are the new ones describes earlier in this thread better? And are they available in Denmark/UK/anywhere, and where is it cheapest?
I think I should get this 2 step gear as well as the lower gear on the laser mech (just for future use).
How about lasers? Are they ones on ebay anu good? Or should it be from the described expensive seller in the UK?
Any good advice ? For example anything to lubricate while being there? And with what?
Please bear with me on all these questions, as I really really like my cda288 and will not want to swap it for anything else.

Cheers,
Jacques from Copenhagen, Denmark.

Just had the same 2 step gear problem on my Copland drive (too goo to ditch for a broken gear), and contacted the great TEAC service department in Toronto, Canada. I got the gear for 12$ + shipping ;) I bought a spare, no wonder...
You may try to contact them (don't know if they ship outside of Canada), and they accept credit card payment, and ship by normal post.

TEAC CANADA LTD.
5939 Wallace St.
Mississauga, Ontario
L4Z 1Z8
P: (905) 890-8008 ext. 118
F: (905) 890-9888

Email: parts@teac-ca.com

Hi all,
Managed to get a new 2step gear. Put it in, turned the big black gear so the "u" shape is at the bottom, inserted drawer, bridges, plugged it, cleaned the laser with my 20 y.o. tapehead cleaner while being in there anyway, cover on, and it plays wonderfull!
Thanks to this thread.

Cheers,
Jacques.

teac gears

HI Delboy2,
I bought them from the UK, both gears. Only the tray gear had broken a few teeth, but it might as well happen to the lasergear, so I got that while at it. I save it for later.
Very expensice, but there is not too many ways to get around it, so I chose a site which seemed okay to me, as I have been cheated before from other sites.
Vrds7 Gear 2Step Door Teac
is the one I used, and it came fast and reliable.
Postage is expensive from UK, so get other parts in the envelope as well. You'll need them sooner or later anyway. I can easily undertake such a task, at either teac/copland/? machine. It only takes a few ordinary tools, and a little carefullness and patience. Put the kids/dog/? to bed first, and enjoy after ½ an hour.
I will get the little rubberband and a laser as well I think.
It was very easy and quick to change, and anybody can do it themselves. I saved around 150 euro in doing it myself, compared to prices here in Denmark.
Which is your machine, and what is the problem?
You are welcome to ask me for help or alike.

Cheers,
jacques.

Last edited:
Delboy2,
Remember to be careful in remembering the position of the spring and the black gearwheel, before taking it off. Take a picture. I turned the big black gearwheel a little, so it took the tension off the spring. Just don't force anything. The little bent spring to loosen the tray with is just a matter of moving it a little bit, then you can pull the tray out.

Cheers,
Jacques.

Hello M8,
I have the Teac VRDS T-1 which I am currently modifying :) (New Clock with dedicated PSU, new 5v regulators etc )Firstly the CD tray started to make 'crunching' noises (2 Step Gear Shot :() Then CD's started to skip - when checking the laser eye pattern found that the focus was poor/blurred when checked with a scope. Replaced the laser and all was well but now the laser mechanism had started to crunch - found that Gear B is now shot too :(

Cheers

Just had the same 2 step gear problem on my Copland drive (too goo to ditch for a broken gear), and contacted the great TEAC service department in Toronto, Canada. I got the gear for 12$ + shipping ;) I bought a spare, no wonder...
You may try to contact them (don't know if they ship outside of Canada), and they accept credit card payment, and ship by normal post.

TEAC CANADA LTD.
5939 Wallace St.
Mississauga, Ontario
L4Z 1Z8
P: (905) 890-8008 ext. 118
F: (905) 890-9888

Email: parts@teac-ca.com

I e-mailed them and got the following reply :-

Unfortunately we do not ship parts outside of Canada due to warranty policies.
Can you please contact any of the following Teac below:

goes on to list Teac UK who are really helpfull:rolleyes:

Cheers

Hi all!

Can somebody in the US please purchase this two-step gear for me from TEAC US, put it in an envelope and send it to me to Bulgaria in Europe, as obviously there is no way to get the part delivered directly by TEAC to address outside the US, and I definitely will not pay close to 80 dollars for a plastic less than an inch in diameter.

I can transfer the funds to whoever makes me that favor (cost of the gear, local postage and intl. postage) by Pay Pal.
Thanks in advance!

Regards from Bulgaria!

Radko

VRDS 7 failed drawer mech

Hi all!

Can somebody in the US please purchase this two-step gear for me from TEAC US, put it in an envelope and send it to me to Bulgaria in Europe, as obviously there is no way to get the part delivered directly by TEAC to address outside the US, and I definitely will not pay close to 80 dollars for a plastic less than an inch in diameter.

I can transfer the funds to whoever makes me that favor (cost of the gear, local postage and intl. postage) by Pay Pal.
Thanks in advance!

Regards from Bulgaria!

Radko

Can I second that request ! My Copland has failed on the drawer sled mech
(pushing my fingernail into the gear wheel - it feels like cheese !) :(

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
Regards from Bulgaria!

Radko
Here in Germany the repair and part service for Teac is follow:
Triplex Service GmbH Wallaustr. 111, D-55118 Mainz
phone: +49-(0)6131-219421-0. Fax: 06131-96583
eMail: teac-parts@triplex-service.de
Triplex Service GmbH - Impressum

Let me introduce my story!
Same problem: Krell KAV300CD / Has got Teac VRDS4 CD Mechanism / problem is from the door gear.(5801571100 2-STEP GEAR) It was like a cheese, the material was chosen wrongly by Teac and most of the users have got this same trouble.
Krell doesn’t send any response to my several KIND e-mails!
One of my friend have produced the gear for me from a better material.
Finally I have fixed it today.
The hardest part is to adjust the door mechanism. To find the first position of the main gear was a serious problem!
I am sending my special thanks to all people that share their information in this forum, especially to Uberteknik.
All of them were very helpful for me.
Gungor/Istanbul/Turkey

Hello Folks,

reluctant to pay about £70 for a little plastic wheel.

Have e-mailed both Hanex and Triplex to see if they can come back with some reasonable prices.

Has anyone else managed to find these parts at a sensible price.

The parts I have asked for are for the VRDS-7

5801568700 gear A
5801568801 gear B

Let's see how I get on......