TEAC VRDS CD T1 gear broken - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2008, 06:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Trade secret No: 347B part 3 section 5

I have done this now to many obsolete impossible to find gears for CD players.
Get some battery clock mechs couple of dollars each from electronic, hobby or bargain shops, three or four different makes, pull them apart and get all the gears out, match up your gears.
Drill out the holes to match the Teac spindle size then use the drill as a centering axle with some grease on it and then glue the two gears together using "Davcon B", a two part 24hr drying time hard as nails epoxy glue.
And there you have it, your own home made gear.

Cheers George

PS: Be clean with the surfaces that have to be glued together.
Old 4th March 2008, 05:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you manage to fix your T1?
Yes, I did! the gear I ordered from Charles Hyde in UK was indeed the right one and when I had fiddled a bit with the initial position of the big gear that move the CD tray the player now works perfectly with very smooth operation and will probably give me many more years of service.

The total cost for the gear including P&P was 15GBP but I think it is still a low price to pay instead of scrapping what is otherwise a very well functioning player.

Regards Hans
Old 5th March 2008, 06:47 AM   #13
scalero is offline scalero  Spain
diyAudio Member

I've order the same gear. Can you help me with the initial position of the big gear that move the CD tray, i haven't the original manual. Can you send me a shematic?
Old 5th March 2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Centre5 is offline Centre5  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default TEAC VRDS T1 spare part dilemna

Hi, Yes, Charles hyde in the UK appears to be the only company in the world who has this cog. Unfortunately, they will not ship goods to Australia, not even a small plastic cog ! TEAC UK won't purchase on my behalf and TEAC Australia is silent.

This is very frustrating. I have a quality cd transport that can't be fixed as there is no way to get a small plastic cog to Australia. TEAC don't seem interested in supporting their higher end (but ageing) prodcuts.

Help!!
Old 5th March 2008, 08:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you're not able to get it one way or the other; I'll check with my supplier and if they have it, I'm willing to order it for you and then send it to you by snail mail.

Just let me know.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic
Old 6th March 2008, 07:08 AM   #16
Centre5 is offline Centre5  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default TEAC VRDS T1 gear broken

Dear scalero, Thank you for your kindness and consideration. I have located a friend of a friend in the UK who may be able to purchase the gear and send to me. If that fails, I will certainly get back to you.

Centre5
Old 13th March 2008, 08:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

My T1 join the swelling ranks of the broken geared a couple of nights back.

I've tried the local TEAC spare parts dealer and got the usual story - "unavailable part" when quoting the T1 part no. While searching the 'net last night I realized that chsinteractive are selling the gear as a VRDS-7 part, so I was wondering if the TEAC part number is different between these models?

As has been mentioned in the thread the T1 2-step gear is 5801571100. Does anyone have the corresponding part number for the VRDS-7 or is it same as for T1?

cheers
Paul

Update: Decided broaden my google searching to a more generic "CMK4 door gear" and turned up another UK source of the door gear that will ship internationally.

http://www.signalsuk.com/signalsuk.n...1?OpenDocument

There is no indication whether this is a stock item, so not sure of how long this will take to get. I've ordered one and will post when I know more.
Old 18th March 2008, 09:25 AM   #18
mgm31 is offline mgm31  France
diyAudio Member

VRDS7 and T1 use the same gear. I've repared both drive with same part.

signal uk have some stock I guess, I asked them a year ago for one piece.
Take care of shipping cost / order cost for a such small piece.....
Old 18th March 2008, 10:30 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

all up Signal charged about $22.00AUS (roughly 13.75Euro) posted airmail judging by my bank statement. I still am waiting for it to arrive, but I'm more than happy to spend $22 to keep the transport in running order.

TEAC Australia is apparently talking about ordering the gears from japan, but knowing the way they price new gear I reckon I'd be paying more than $22 to buy from their local spares outlets anyway.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The replacement gear arrived today from Signal UK. After a bit of puzzling on how to remove the CD tray to access the drive train beneath the process was pretty painless, and the drawer is working smoothly once more.

Hide this!Advertise here!