TEAC VRDS CD T1 gear broken

TEAC VRDS T1 gear broken

TEAC Australia is apparently talking about ordering the gears from japan, but knowing the way they price new gear I reckon I'd be paying more than $22 to buy from their local spares outlets anyway.

Yes, TEAC is talking about it ....but no longer.

I was assured by TEAC Australia that the part was *now* avaialble. The email I received from them today (2 months after ordering) said that the TEAC Japan storeman made a mistake and the part is not available. I will see how I go getting a refund as I paid my $$$ when they assured me it was available.

I will try Signals UK. I am jinxed......

All's well that ends well. Charles Hyde eventually agreed to ship the step gear and shortly after that John Onafaro from TEAC Western Australia managed to source factory parts. Music is back!

ps I am in the ACT; don't know why John was the only TEAC person to take an interest

Other cogs

I picked up my cog when I went back to the UK for the door transport and that now works but found that the middle coge to drive the laser pick up has now crumbled.

Would anyone know which cog I should now order ? there appears to be a 4 pound or 13 pound cog .... any suggestions gratefully received.

Graeme

Copland CD Draw Problem

Hi, I've been reading this thread with interest. My autistic son recently removed a CD from our Copland CDA 288 (same mechanism as Teac T1 and VRDS 7) and then promptly walked into the draw. The draw continued to work for a while but it was jerky in its movement and make a loud ticking noise. Now, however, it has stopped opening and closing.

I believe this to be a gear problem but I'd be grateful if someone who has replaced the gear and fixed their machine could tell me whether their symptoms were similar to mine.

I'm tempted to buy all the parts from the Charles Hyde website and then attempt the fix. Is it straightforward? Do you have to remove the whole transport mechanism to effect the repair. Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
sounds very much like what happened when my draw gear died. very jerky movement, and then as teeth stripped the draw stopped working.

there is a bit of pull apart involved but it's not too bad. the manual helps somewhat but you still have to attempt to make sense of what it shows :)

I forgot to take pics of the strip down... this is after the gear has been replaced.

Attachments

• replacement_gear.jpg
    replacement_gear.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 858
Thanks for the response spzzzzkt.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on which way you look at it) I've never had to repair a CD player before but I have built kit power amps and pre amps and a DAC so I should be okay with some guidance.

Could I just ask how you started (if you could give me a vague outline of what you / what parts you removed that would be most helpful)? Did you just remove the tray out of the front of the machine or did you remove the whole mechanism? What was the 'pull apart' you mention? Also, did you replace other parts such as the belt? I feel tempted to buy all the relevant parts mentioned alongside the 2 step gear and replace those while the unit is stripped down.

Sorry, so many questions!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
My strategy was to leave as much as possible in place. I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the whole mechanism.

from memory, it was a matter of removing the bridge which takes with it the VRDS disc. I didn't disconnect the motor wiring, just moved to one side. There are clips on both sides, the wire clip in the pic, and another clip on the other side release the draw. Once you get that out, you should have access to the gear mechanisms. I had to pull the front panel to access the retain screw for the bracket above the gears.

I only replaced the gear, mainly because of difficulties obtaining parts from the UK. I checked the rubber belt when I stripped my T1 down and it seemed to be in fairly good condition.

Not sure how similar the copland is to the T1/VRDS7... from memory the chassis looks very close?

This is the best view of the VRDS mechanism in the T1 manual:

Attachments

• vrdst1_p4.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 679
Copland CDA288 Draw Problem

I have waited patiently for months for the 2 step gear to arrive from Signals and thanks to the help that spzzzzkt provided I effected the repair without any issues. The draw now opens and closes without any funny noises or jerky movement.

However!! I now have a new problem and I am hoping someone maybe able to help. When the draw closes it gets almost all the way to the closed position and then opens again:(

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: Copland CDA288 Draw Problem

Buscemi said:
I have waited patiently for months for the 2 step gear to arrive from Signals and thanks to the help that spzzzzkt provided I effected the repair without any issues. The draw now opens and closes without any funny noises or jerky movement.

However!! I now have a new problem and I am hoping someone maybe able to help. When the draw closes it gets almost all the way to the closed position and then opens again:(

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

check the end of drawer switch, it appears that that isn't activated when the drawer goes in

best

Re: Copland Tray

Buscemi said:
Hi Guido, thanks for the response but could you tell me where the end of draw switch is? I was sure I'd set everything back the way it was. Thanks, Mike

from my memory: Somewhere half way, below the drawer

I think have the service manual at the lab, but since it is weekend I am at home now :)

will get back, if not Email me, memory lets one down sometimes......

best

I have a similar problem with my VRDS T1. The gear between the motor and the gear that drive the lasersledge is broken. That is the slightly yellow one at the picture. Anyone who knows what this gear is called as a sparepart, and where i can get a new one?

Attachments

• diverse 002.jpg
    diverse 002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
My T1 has been quite noisy when loading for the past couple of weeks, then yesterday started randomly skipping, and occasionally muting completely for 10-20 seconds. A pull apart revealed that "Gear B" had lost a few teeth, so it's back to the trawl for spare gears.