Muse capacitor...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I recently lost the left channel on my Muse Model Two DAC. I opened the unit up only to find a capacitor was broken. The body of the capacitor was literally broken in two. Anyway the capacitor is located in the corner of the pcb and is soldered to the ground on the pcb and then is soldered to an metal piece (U shaped) that is placed (held in place) between the screwhead that holds the pcb to the metal standoffs and the pcb. The capacitor is tiny (2-3mm in length, 1/8 of an inch) and mustard colored. It has the following markings on it:

A triangular symbol with G52 under it on one side of the capacitor.

103 with KC5 (KCS) under the 103 on the opposite side of the capacitor.

I thought the best course of action would to be to replace the broken capacitor with a new one and replace the others channels same capacitor as well to keep the both channels in sync, so to speak. Am I correct in reading the codes on the capacitor as a 0.01uf capacitor? Perhaps someone has suggestions, tips to steer me in the right direction...

Regards,
mcelaj

poynton said:
It goes from ground to ground !!

This is what I summazed...?

Anyway here is a picture of both sides of the broken component and a picture of the one that is still intact on the pcb:

Attachments

• p1270018.jpg
    p1270018.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 321
That's just a ceramic monolithic .01uf cap, being used as an RF ground, to prevent ground loop RF interference. It is certainly not the cause of a channel problem. Looks like it broke simply from mechanical stress from the way it was used straight to the screw-down lug like that. Any .01uf(+ or - like 300%) ceramic or film cap will do just fine as a replacement.
You channel loss, however, is a completely other issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.