Sphinx Project 9 cd motor not running after laser change

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello people,
I bought a sphinx project 9 cdplayer but it couldn't read cd's, so i changed the laser from the CDM1 MK2 and tried if it was ok, (the laser is from an old player that was working) . But now the cd disk is not rotating, everything works display, drawer in and out i can see the laser arm moving and focussing but the motor is not spinning the disk, the i put back the old defect laser and stil no spinning disk, i also took a look at the hall motor changed the 4 transistors and 1 ic, measured the coils of the motor but still no running, i also noticed that when the power is on the and you turn the cd by hand the motor is breaking a little when the power is of than the cd turned by hand runs freely.

Anyone an idea i am very keen in fixing this nice player.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english.

Rene.

On cdm-1 era players, the first thing always to do is resolder very thoroughly the points where the top ground plane is soldered through to connections on the bottom side of the big main servo PCB.
Secondly, about the only other thing that goes wrong on these units is thrust bearing wear on the platter motor. So, if you have done the servo board soldering, try turning the thrust bearing clockwise(looking from under the player, with a T10 or perhaps T15 torx driver) 1/4 of a turn at a time until the laser is able to focus & starts up the disc.

stephensank said:
On cdm-1 era players, the first thing always to do is resolder very thoroughly the points where the top ground plane is soldered through to connections on the bottom side of the big main servo PCB.
Secondly, about the only other thing that goes wrong on these units is thrust bearing wear on the platter motor. So, if you have done the servo board soldering, try turning the thrust bearing clockwise(looking from under the player, with a T10 or perhaps T15 torx driver) 1/4 of a turn at a time until the laser is able to focus & starts up the disc.

Thanks Stephen,

All the points you mentioned are allright, I am getting desperate because it is a rare beauty this player.

Regards Rene.

Without the unit in front of my eyes, the only other thing I can think of, off hand, is to check all of the fusible resistors. These are usually 10ohm or lower & with silver/grey bodies, and can fry open without showing it. So, measure all that you can find with an ohmmeter & see if any are way over value/open. If one is fried, check on both ends of it for a short or near short to ground, as it more likely than not, fried due to a shorted electrolytic cap it is feeding voltage to. Speaking of lytics, if it were my player, I would just go ahead & replace every lytic that is not already a Nichicon with a Nichicon or NipponChemicon, just for the sake of long term reliability. The lytics that fail in these old Philips players are invariably Philips, Siemens or other German made lytic, just as in any Studer/Revox gear.

stephensank said:
Without the unit in front of my eyes, the only other thing I can think of, off hand, is to check all of the fusible resistors. These are usually 10ohm or lower & with silver/grey bodies, and can fry open without showing it. So, measure all that you can find with an ohmmeter & see if any are way over value/open. If one is fried, check on both ends of it for a short or near short to ground, as it more likely than not, fried due to a shorted electrolytic cap it is feeding voltage to. Speaking of lytics, if it were my player, I would just go ahead & replace every lytic that is not already a Nichicon with a Nichicon or NipponChemicon, just for the sake of long term reliability. The lytics that fail in these old Philips players are invariably Philips, Siemens or other German made lytic, just as in any Studer/Revox gear.

Thanks Stephen,

I already checked the resistors and caps they are allright, today I spend again several hours with the player and put in another good working laser assembly, but still it is not working.

What happens is when I turn the power on the laser arm of the cdm1 mk2 nocks with a loud klick to the outside off the drive and stay's there, you can see the lens focus, that's all and the disk motor (it's a hall type) is not running the disk, and when i turn the disk a little by hand the motor seems to break a little, i mean the disk is not running free, when i turn the power off the breaking is over and the disk runs well when you give it a turn by hand.

The only parts i didnt replaced are the TDA8809 and TDA8808 could they give me this problems ??

Regards Rene.

kevinkr said:
The 8808 and 8809 are discontinued but a couple of vendors in the UK still had them a couple of years ago. Likely though that it is something more directly related to the motor drive electronics which is a different chip. Check the wiring to the motor..

Thanks Kevin,

For this hall motor to run it needs a sinus signal on it's input and that seems to be the problem, I already checked the total motor circuit and that seems fine also the power supply to the motor is ok, but I can't get to figure out why there is no sinus signal . The problem is that there is no way to get a service manual these Sphinx Project nine players are very rare, and there is almost nothing to find about it. Somehow there must be a way to get it fixed it is such a nice cdplayer.

Regards René.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rene,
Using the cited chips I suspect it could be quite similar to the Philips reference application. There were a couple of rotel players that used the standard Philips chip family and the servo and motor driver design were virtually identical to what was used in my old Lambda Drive. I will try to see if I can get that rotel model # and post it here.

kevinkr said:
Hi Rene,
Using the cited chips I suspect it could be quite similar to the Philips reference application. There were a couple of rotel players that used the standard Philips chip family and the servo and motor driver design were virtually identical to what was used in my old Lambda Drive. I will try to see if I can get that rotel model # and post it here.

Hi Kevin,

if that is possible it would be a lot of help for me i really hope that ypu can get it:)

Thanks in advance René

guido said:
CD80 and Philips CD880 use it. Get a manual for one of those and you will probably find the fault. As for those ic's, plenty of them at your local "kringloopwinkel".

Guido

Hi Guido thanks for the advice.

I have a manual for the cd880 and the circuit board from this player is different, there are some simmularities but it is a different board that the Sphinx uses, when i look at the board it looks like a Philips design not special sphinx. Ps it is the board that is mounted below the CDM1mk2 drive.

I went to the kringloop and bought 3 players for spares
;)

Regards René.

I have made some pictures

Attachments

• dsc00033klein.jpg
    dsc00033klein.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 220
Must be a 7210 or 7310 decoder somewhere. Check MSC pin for pulses. Compare with one of those kringloop machines. Maybe it's dead, seen it before. But cant remember if a failure normally means 'full speed' or no turning. Without clock it's full speed.

Could be the driver between MSC and motor or it's powersupply.
This part of the player is probably very standard. i expect differences with philips/marantz at the powersupply and analog section.

guido said:
Must be a 7210 or 7310 decoder somewhere. Check MSC pin for pulses. Compare with one of those kringloop machines. Maybe it's dead, seen it before. But cant remember if a failure normally means 'full speed' or no turning. Without clock it's full speed.

Could be the driver between MSC and motor or it's powersupply.
This part of the player is probably very standard. i expect differences with philips/marantz at the powersupply and analog section.

Thanks Guido,

I could not find the 7210 or 7310 wil have a look maybe this chip is on the solder side of the mainboard.

I will check this tomorrow and let you know.

Gr,

Rene.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.