Denon/HK single CD and Changers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquin is offline Aquin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Denon/HK single CD and Changers

I am a beginner audiophile and own a Harman Kardon Avr-630 receiver with Monitor Audio Silver Series 8i speakers and a Harman Kardon FL-8550 5 disc cd changer. I'm after crisp, clear sound and this system so far delivers to my ears, especially on vocals and hearing instruments clearly. I'm not interested in bass. I assume I have what you'd call a "bright" system correct? Female vocalists with a good band in the background sound awesome on my stereo system. I've read before that certain manufacturer's components go well together with certain speakers. I wonder if there's a website that has pairings. I'm interested in buying another cd changer to put on top of my current one. Should I stick with a Harman Kardon cd changer or are their other brands that will give me the same sound quality? A lot of people like the sound from Harman Kardon CD changers made in the late 90's (like the fl8380, fl8550, fl8350, etc) but say the transport mechanism fails on them a lot. So far, I've had no problems. Are Harman Kardon single cd players like the hk 7500 (made in Japan in 1990) good quality for a single cd player? Someone has one for sale in my town for $50, which seems high. What would you all pay for a used private party well cared for HK single cd player and cd changer?

In my bedroom, I have an old Denon Receiver Dra-35v with a Denon DCD-595 Cd player and B&W DM100 bookshelf speakers. I'm very pleased with the sound quality--it's detailed and crisp and is 10x better than a $100 minisystem. All the Denon components are made in Japan, which apparently signifies higher quality vs made in China. Before the Denon DCD-595 (made in Japan 1993), I had a Denon DCD-600 single player (Made in Japan 1986) and it sounded the same to me. I assumed since I had a Denon receiver, that I should stick with a Denon cd player so low and behold the dcd-595 appeared at a thrift store for $15 in excellent cosmetic and operating condition.. What do you all think of made in Japan mid/late 80's/early 90's Denon single cd players? How would a Denon single cd or 5 cd changer sound on my main Monitor audio/harman kardon system?

I'm in no hurry to buy and actually don't mind searching the classifieds and second hang stores hoping to come upon a bargain. Just wondering what's the most I should pay for what. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 30th April 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Aquin is offline Aquin  United States
diyAudio Member

Any opinions on HK cd changers or Denon single cd players?

Hide this!Advertise here!