Splitting AES/EBU Signal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2008, 02:06 PM   #1
KCCT82 is offline KCCT82  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Splitting AES/EBU Signal

Hello, my dad and I have been using computer as CD transport for a few years now and we have always wanted to have more than one of the same AES/EBU (XLR) signal. Because the behringer dcx2496 digital x-over has 6 outputs, we can only go up to 3 way stereo. We would like to use 2 dcx2496 for a maximium of 6 way stereo (we'll only use 4). The source is a custom computer using a lynxTwo soundcard, his friend somehow intergrated the exact audio copy program in it so the output would be a perfect signal, but unfortunatly, only 1 signal is provided. I know one of the new XTA digital x-over has 8 outputs but that unit is quite expensive. We'd rather use a quality splitter and 2 dcx2496 to save $$$.
I found this: http://www.etslan.com/pdf%20docs/PA830.pdf
It seems like it will solve my problem but I want to know how much this thing will degrade my signal? Lowering the signal by 3 db is fine as long as the split signals are still very good. Can anyone help out? Thanks

PS- we will consider anything less than $1000
Old 7th January 2008, 02:11 PM   #2
flshzug is offline flshzug  Antarctica
Banned

why not buy the LS-AES expander for multiple AES output You could diy DAC and if the cpu is powerful enough go for 96khz oversampling and even do the XO ... Im about to use Lynx AES-16 and Im no fan of crapola external EQ...
Old 7th January 2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Sounds to me like all you need is the XLR equivalent of a RCA Y-splitter lead? Make one yourself if you can't buy one. Should be under $20.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any splitter must as a minimum:

- maintain the correct termination of 110 ohms;

- maintain enough signal level for the receiver to properly lock onto the signal without increasing jitter.

A simple Y splitter does not do this.
The best way would be a simple digital gate, like a 74xx quad AND gate, and insert the signal into two gates and take it off at the two (or four, while you're at it) gate outputs. Both inputs and outputs need to be terminated to 110 ohms. This will also need a power supply.

The splitter linked to in the first post does maintain proper termination, but will decrease signal level by 3dB. This *may* work but is not guaranteed.
Remember that lower level in AES/EBU does NOT mean lower sound level; the sound level is encoded in the bit stream, and the digital signal level is only important for the receiver to work with it.

If that splitter is not too expensive it's worth a try.

Jan Didden
Old 7th January 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Banned

just think bout it, just 4x tda1541a, you cant go wrong
Old 7th January 2008, 06:31 PM   #6
OneyedK is offline OneyedK  Belgium
diyAudio Member

We're using the SC945-01 form http://www.scientificonversion.com/.
Old 8th January 2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Banned

how can one obtain their AES transformer? Seems good .
Old 8th January 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
KCCT82 is offline KCCT82  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks everyone for your reply, but I don't really understand what any of the above means (quad and gate? 4 x tda1541?? uh........... ) I'm a grad student studying art with no engineering background...

If someone can tell me a step by step process or an exact product to buy it will be great, I'm willing to DIY myself as long as it's simple enough for an art major to build

thanks a lot
Old 8th January 2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Banned

no beginner project:
sell the behringer and DIY 4 stereo DAC , tda1541 or 1543 is stereo dac chip. You can buy the IK multimedia ARC room correction software for 500 Usd and LS-AES by Lynx.
Old 8th January 2008, 12:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KCCT82
thanks everyone for your reply, but I don't really understand what any of the above means (quad and gate? 4 x tda1541?? uh........... ) I'm a grad student studying art with no engineering background...

If someone can tell me a step by step process or an exact product to buy it will be great, I'm willing to DIY myself as long as it's simple enough for an art major to build

thanks a lot
OK, what I was saying is that splitting an AES/EBU (or S/PDIF, for that matter) should not be done with a simple Y-split, as it is asking for trouble or at least degraded sound.
Someone experienced in DIY could whip something up from a few logic gates (the AND gates) and a wall-wart supply.
But if you don't have the experience, by far the easiest (and cheapest!) would be to buy an AES/EBU splitter like the one referred to above. Make sure the specs say that the inputs and outputs are terminated with 110 ohms.
Alternatively, look up the Behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496, which can do all that and much more for 160 $.

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!