Splitting AES/EBU Signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my dad and I have been using computer as CD transport for a few years now and we have always wanted to have more than one of the same AES/EBU (XLR) signal. Because the behringer dcx2496 digital x-over has 6 outputs, we can only go up to 3 way stereo. We would like to use 2 dcx2496 for a maximium of 6 way stereo (we'll only use 4). The source is a custom computer using a lynxTwo soundcard, his friend somehow intergrated the exact audio copy program in it so the output would be a perfect signal, but unfortunatly, only 1 signal is provided. I know one of the new XTA digital x-over has 8 outputs but that unit is quite expensive. We'd rather use a quality splitter and 2 dcx2496 to save $$$.
I found this: http://www.etslan.com/pdf docs/PA830.pdf
It seems like it will solve my problem but I want to know how much this thing will degrade my signal? Lowering the signal by 3 db is fine as long as the split signals are still very good. Can anyone help out? Thanks

PS- we will consider anything less than $1000

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any splitter must as a minimum:

- maintain the correct termination of 110 ohms;

- maintain enough signal level for the receiver to properly lock onto the signal without increasing jitter.

A simple Y splitter does not do this.
The best way would be a simple digital gate, like a 74xx quad AND gate, and insert the signal into two gates and take it off at the two (or four, while you're at it) gate outputs. Both inputs and outputs need to be terminated to 110 ohms. This will also need a power supply.

The splitter linked to in the first post does maintain proper termination, but will decrease signal level by 3dB. This *may* work but is not guaranteed.
Remember that lower level in AES/EBU does NOT mean lower sound level; the sound level is encoded in the bit stream, and the digital signal level is only important for the receiver to work with it.

If that splitter is not too expensive it's worth a try.

Jan Didden

thanks everyone for your reply, but I don't really understand what any of the above means (quad and gate? 4 x tda1541?? uh........... ) I'm a grad student studying art with no engineering background...

If someone can tell me a step by step process or an exact product to buy it will be great, I'm willing to DIY myself as long as it's simple enough for an art major to build ;)

thanks a lot

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
KCCT82 said:
thanks everyone for your reply, but I don't really understand what any of the above means (quad and gate? 4 x tda1541?? uh........... ) I'm a grad student studying art with no engineering background...

If someone can tell me a step by step process or an exact product to buy it will be great, I'm willing to DIY myself as long as it's simple enough for an art major to build ;)

thanks a lot

OK, what I was saying is that splitting an AES/EBU (or S/PDIF, for that matter) should not be done with a simple Y-split, as it is asking for trouble or at least degraded sound.
Someone experienced in DIY could whip something up from a few logic gates (the AND gates) and a wall-wart supply.
But if you don't have the experience, by far the easiest (and cheapest!) would be to buy an AES/EBU splitter like the one referred to above. Make sure the specs say that the inputs and outputs are terminated with 110 ohms.
Alternatively, look up the Behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496, which can do all that and much more for 160 $.

Jan Didden

someone over at Altec heritage forums is unable to use the behringer crossover cause each one he buys is faulty. :p remind you its crap IIR filters inside, computing hi-q FIR inside the PC is orders of magnitude better. If you find DAC eval-kit with AES inputs for 200 USD give it a tought too.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
flshzug said:
uhum . Can I buy several from you? Im from Hungary there wont be dealer around for sure.

Janneman , thats bit harsh dont you think :))
It has to do with quality control I guess.

No, not at all. You would be surprised how many people ask questions that are on page 1 of the manual. Or how many people return their unit because it doesn't work on analog in, forgetting to change the setup to analog in.

It is of course possible that a piece of equipment arrives broken. Two in a row? "Each one he buys"? Possible, yes. But I would at that point take a hard look at the operator side of it.

Jan Didden

Thanks Jan, I thinki i'll go with the behringer, I should have the necessary skills to operate it. I'll ask someone about the gate thing, perhaps the person who built the computer for me would know how to build a splitter.

flshzug, what do you mean on the card? lynxTwo soundcard? the computer was built by a friend, he made it very much like a CD player, only 1 aes/ebu is coming out of the alumium case, no analog.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.