DAC for Studer d730 or d731

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OneyedK said:

D731: check all power supply parts, when the display blanks on these machines, it's an indication of overheating or voltages out of spec.
You need to take care of the problem before another part of the player get's damaged.
If it happens when you use the player after a long switch-off time, there will be capacitors to be replaced.
If it happens when the player has been switched on for several days, you need to take care of the rectifiers too.

I know I have an old electrical system in the apartment, just under about 230 something Volts.
and no ground.

It just happens from time to time, not often and usually with copied CD's.

OneyedK said:
Everything above 190Vac is perfect for a Studer in good shape.

The display blank should have no relation to the fact that you play "bad" CD's. Does the quality-counter work?

yes it works.. I will try and observe more carefully for when it does not go on. I remember I put in a CD it played then when I looked at the display it was blank. None of the buttons worked, except the power button to shut it off. When I turned it on again, it worked fine. I guess this happened two or three times.

My friends A73's problem is when the machine is turned on it does not work, he puts the disk in and gets "no disk" The machine needs to be on for a while to warm up and after that he has to keep pushng the play button many times. Like 4 or 5 mins and then the display goes on and the disk spins and plays.
I guess it's not just a display problem.

OneyedK said:
In both cases, you need to replace a number of capacitors...
If you don't do that, the players will die...

Well, for my friends, he will have to find someone and pay to fix it. That's too much for me.

As for mine, I will wait until I get at the other modifications you recommended to me, (It's been well behaved for the last 2 months in any case) and see what those changes produce.

Did you ever try a Phillips IS 5022 as a DAC or just to play around with ?

Changing caps is a rather simple soldering job in those machines, but it takes time and you have to select quality components.

I never played with IS 5022, but we TC finalizers and stuff like that at hands. Those are great mastering tools, but you really need to know what you are doing. I like old things like Apex studio dominator to shape sound.
But that's nothing you need at home. I only use it during recording and mixing.
At home I want honest playback of the original material.

OneyedK said:
There are several options:

1) simply feed a wordclock signal to the wordclock input. (easy, if you have a wordclock at hand)
2) remove C720, C721, R729 and X701. Connect a decent clock (kwak, tent, ...) to pin 2 of IC707. btw, fequency of that clock is 11.2896MHz

These two options leave every function of the D731 intact.
It's a good idea to change the most important alectrolytic caps while you have the device open.
Best to change D701 (BB212), part of the VCO, they age quickly...

Now the other option is to replace the system clock completely.
Remove IC705 and feed the output of a decent clock to where pin 3 of that chip used to be.
This option certainly the best sounding, but there's no way to use the varispeed again. (wordclocking will also be impossible)

The DAC of the D731 consists of a format converter from Philips transport to Sony format (basically a 16-bit shift register), 8x oversampling filter (SM5803_APT), 3rd order noise shaper (SAA_7350) and finally the TDA1547.

Now after the TDA1547, Studer moves directly to single ended.
By means of NE5532AN (room for improvement there, IC402 and IC452). After those, the industrial part of the D731 begins, nothing you want to see in a high end player, simply do not use it.
L = pin 7 of IC402
R = pin 7 of IC452

When you want to use an external DAC with the D731, you should clean up the digital output portion of the mainboard, not exactly easy to do. (and still have to improve the clock)

Is there a way to by pass the clock and just use the clock on an external dac as the only master clock to reduce the jitter? Or is this a crazy idea ?

mrtakib said:

Is there a way to by pass the clock and just use the clock on an external dac as the only master clock to reduce the jitter? Or is this a crazy idea ?

That's the way it is done in most studio's, take a master clock, feed it in to the CD-player and feed it into the mixing desk.

If you want to buy a wordclock generator/distributor, those are pretty expensive.
(do not even look at the cheap ones, they really make things worse)
If you want to build one, you'll stiil have to start from a decent oscillator (like Tent or Kwak).

I think it's easier to build that oscillator directly into the player as decribed above.

OneyedK said:

I think it's easier to build that oscillator directly into the player as decribed above.

I think you are right ! Guido from Tent is very helpful. I think I will go that route.

Some dac constructors advertise funny clock names that eliminate the jitter no matter what. I doubt that personally, but I can try out a Benchmark Dac1 and a Lavry DA10 for one week, as a loan from a dealer. I may do that next week just to hear them and also to try usb and toslink from my computer.

Still waiting for Twisted Pear to get the new PCB's....

About Oneyedk recommended changes

Oneyedk,

I read with a lot of interest this thread.

>>> About your suggestions:
- If you diminish the value of C411 from 100uf to 47uf, what will be the functional impact?
Better slew rate of the op amp IC403 just before?
Will it still block commutation noise as effectively?

- What is the role of the R416 you recommend to suppress and what is the functional impact?

- I do not understand why there is the muting mechanism Q401 & Q402, while there is an output mute through a relay (page 5/17) Q310/K301?
What is the purpose/functional impact of not having it? Avoiding pop-commutation noise?

- Based on those recommendation and the schematic (page 5/17 5/18), does it not make sense then to just remove both C411 & C301 and put a 47uf capacitor accross hence bypassing R416, R417, Q401, R419, Q402, C412?

- You mention replacing the op amps IC402, IC403, and IC405. How about IC301?(it is the last 5532 before the transistors).

- Based on your experience on the D73x, What components do you recommend to replace the op amp and capacitor (Brand/model)?

- Have you indeed tried to replace X701 by a Tentlab clock? What was the effect?

>>> I have an intermittent problem, where my D730 is suddenly starting to skip, the light "ext sync" starts blinking and the CD door is locked like it was "on air". Have you seen that problem before? The issue also happens without a CD (i.e., locking the CD door) so I assume it is not the drive.

>>> Finally since you seem to indicate that you have quite a bit of Studer equipment and some of it is end of life. If your company is getting rid of Studer CD players, Tuners or just boards (like the main boards of D73x or output board of A727, A764). Please contact me I am interested :)

Regards,

cdfr

When the machine is turned on it does not work, he puts the disk in and gets "no disk" The machine needs to be on for a while to warm up and after that he has to keep pushng the play button many times. Like 4 or 5 mins and then the display goes on and the disk spins and plays.
I guess it's not just a display problem.
I had same problem on my A730, it needed some time to warm up before he wanted to play.
I located problematic component by cooling-warming method, and it was little BF450 transistor in current ref. circuit for SAA7210 decoder. It is located near SAA7210 chip.

I have a similar problem on a modified A 730 with a D 730 transport ( CDM 4 instead of CDM3).
Sometimes the player refuses to play. Turning off the machine for a while and pushing the play button several times as mentionned by mrtakib helps.
I will check the BF 450 transitor you mention but don't you think it may be the laser head which needs to be replaced as well since this is a quite old machine ? Or maybe the machine needs to be tuned up. For this Test CDs are required and and a repairer who accepts to do the job !

I tried to use an external DAC ( Benshmark dac 2) but it is worse. Maybe a jitter problem mentionned above.

Also I was wondering if switching the clock inside to "Quarz Clock" would be better ? the other position is for varispeed and wordclock input.

Thank you for any advise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.