MICROMEGA Drive 3 & DAC Faulty & MODS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2008, 12:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MICROMEGA Drive 3 & DAC Faulty & MODS

Hi,
I have a Micromega Drive 3 and DAC.

The Drive is playing up with the usual disc problem.

It had the mechanism replaced by Micromega but now gets stuck when trying to open, I have used my finger nail to help it at times, any suggestions welcome.

Also the DAC is totally dead, could this be an internal fuse that has blown?

Does anyone have any suggestions of upgrades that would be worthwhile doing?

Thanks
Old 9th January 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

I take it when you say the disc is getting stuck you mean the drive face plate is getting stuck??

The cd drive probably needs to be repositioned, there are 3 screws on the base of the player to do this, 2x right at the front of the player and one big one at the rear in a triangle pattern. I find it best to remove the lid of the player to reposition the mech.

As for the DAC it just sounds like one of the fuses, if it's a DAC 1 then the fuses are inside, if it's a DAC 2 then there should be a mains fuse in a holder for IEC cord input.

Let me know how you get on.

Phasenoise
Old 10th January 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasenoise
Hi there,

I take it when you say the disc is getting stuck you mean the drive face plate is getting stuck??

The cd drive probably needs to be repositioned, there are 3 screws on the base of the player to do this, 2x right at the front of the player and one big one at the rear in a triangle pattern. I find it best to remove the lid of the player to reposition the mech.

As for the DAC it just sounds like one of the fuses, if it's a DAC 1 then the fuses are inside, if it's a DAC 2 then there should be a mains fuse in a holder for IEC cord input.

Phasenoise
Thanks for the help. I have tried repositioning the CD drive and it is definitely not obstructed now but after a while it still has problems opening. Do you think it may need regreasing or are there any belts that may need changing? I know that there have been problems with the MICROMEGA CD Drives. It's actually the 2nd one it's had.
I have not had a chance to look at the DAC yet but it is a DAC 2 with the fuse on the outside so I imagine it is just the fuse. I will let you know.
Thanks for the help, it would be a shame to not use the kit, it cost me an arm and a leg new.

Lee
Old 4th January 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
ivd is offline ivd  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I had my cd tray stuck on my MICROMEGA MINIUM CD3 with one disc inside...
I never managed to open it, the tray neither the disc reader, but if you turn it upside down, you'll see two screws on the top of the cd tray/driver. Unscrew those two (and larger) screws, and you'll be able to open your cd tray manually.

It took me a while to find the way to unlock it, so I hope this will be helpfull to someone else.

Cheers
Old 5th January 2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Does the Drive 3 look like this. If so should be easily fixed, belt causes problem, tiny dab of grease needed on shaft of tray gears, and the aluminium face plate on the draw is stuck with double sided tape. It slips down and catches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drive.jpg (1.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 6th January 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tha's the Drive 3 that I have, its in storage at the moment as I am betwem moves so will not be able to get to it for a few months.
Thanks for the tips, when I get it back I will try what you say and post on the board.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasenoise View Post
Hi there,

Phasenoise
Sorry its taken a long time to get back on this one. I have moved house a couple of times and still getting strait.
I replaced the external fuse in my DAC2 and the lights come on and it goes through its test procedures, etc but I have no sound coming out of the dac2.
I have tried all the different connections and phono leads but no luck.
Any ideas?
Thanpks
Old 28th April 2010, 08:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well best thing to do is to plug a known good transport / digital feed in to an input, select that input on the front panel. If it locks, i.e goes solid instead of flashing then you know the input receiver is fine then that could indicate a dead output really. Should hear it click on anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!