Sony CDP-X33ES - suggested mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is my first post as a total newbie.

I have just bought a Sony CDP-X33ES of ebay for £60, is that a good price?

Secondly I am interested in modding it, what do you guys suggest I do with it?

I have just read an article in Hi-Fi world June 2006 where they did mod one of these using Audiocom Superclock 3 PSU Mk2 upgrade, and AD8620 Op Amp and a few other things such as changing the silicone powersupply diodes with HexFRED types but all this came to £550 in 2006. WAY TOO MUCH for me :whazzat:

Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

I have the same CD player.

The first thing towards any upgrade or mod is to get a schematic diagram. There are many things you can do to improve the audio quality. If you are a serious DIYer it will probably take you quite a while, it is fun.

As it is over 15 years old, I suggest that the belts have to be replaced. After that, you can replace all the electrolytic caps on the audio board, and then on the power supply. I have used united chemicon (nippon chemicon in the UK) LXZ series, or Nichicon KZ series with excellent results.

I am more than happy to share with you the mods and upgrades down the road.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.