Which format to rip cds? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Which format to rip cds?

I have been ripping my cd collection to mp3@320 and the sound is very good IMO. But I thought 192 was good until I heard the grunge. Now at 320 things are better but I am hesitant to do an AB comparison to the original cd because I do not want to hear inferior sound. Without comparing I can better enjoy my music. I know I did this backwards but after ripping everything at 320 I am going to begin ripping again lossless at my convenience. To those who have been thru this already, can you recommend which lossless formats work best for you? I am using a pc and do not plan to go mac anytime soon. Would using my pc running windows media player and ripping WAV files truly provide lossless copies? Should I wait a little longer to see if some standard arrives?

TIA,
Godzilla
Old 20th December 2007, 10:37 PM   #2
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

WAV is lossless and a very simple format, plus there's tonnes of support for it. Hard to go wrong here.

The only way to get better would then be to use a precision ripper.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to raidfibre
There are many lossless codecs. One of the first and most popular is FLAC (free lossless audio codec). There is also an OGG lossless format, AAC (again, a variant), among others.

I believe that FLAC is now the most popular but in the future one of the other formats may be more popular, probably AAC if Apple starts selling lossless songs. The good thing about a lossless format is that you can convert it into whatever other format you want without losing anything. Personally I'd pick FLAC.

-
M
Old 21st December 2007, 02:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Which format to rip cds?

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
I have been ripping my cd collection to mp3@320 and the sound is very good IMO. But I thought 192 was good until I heard the grunge. Now at 320 things are better but I am hesitant to do an AB comparison to the original cd because I do not want to hear inferior sound. Without comparing I can better enjoy my music. I know I did this backwards but after ripping everything at 320 I am going to begin ripping again lossless at my convenience. To those who have been thru this already, can you recommend which lossless formats work best for you? I am using a pc and do not plan to go mac anytime soon. Would using my pc running windows media player and ripping WAV files truly provide lossless copies? Should I wait a little longer to see if some standard arrives?

TIA,
Godzilla
I went thru the same exercise.... and chose WMA lossless. Tried FLAC and OGG but wasn't really happy with the end results. The WMA lossless sounded very close to the original WAV (with a bit of file compression as well). The end-result was approximately 2/3 to 1/2 the original file size. I know its Microsoft but it just sounds really good.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ecs/audio.aspx

Boky
Old 21st December 2007, 02:24 AM   #5
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I'll put in a vote for FLAC, mostly because its still true to the original (sometimes a player's decoder sucks though. check your player, winamp's is fine, and Foobar2000 checked out about the same, but I've heard others haven't fared so well in performance).

I'd vote for .wav as well, depending on your playback system, as sometimes the processing hit from decoding can be worse than the bandwidth needed by a lossless .wav. most newer computers should fare fine with either, unless you're doing too much at once.

-Jared
Old 21st December 2007, 02:51 AM   #6
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by defect9
I'll put in a vote for FLAC, mostly because its still true to the original
Lossless is lossless (even if the format is compressed, that's just like zipping it but it's still lossless). Issues are likely to only be file size and compatibility.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:37 AM   #7
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using WMA losless and very happy with it. Advantages are support for tagged files, 30-50% less size than that of WAV and seamless integration with WMP.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raidfibre
There are many lossless codecs. One of the first and most popular is FLAC (free lossless audio codec). There is also an OGG lossless format, AAC (again, a variant), among others.

I believe that FLAC is now the most popular but in the future one of the other formats may be more popular, probably AAC if Apple starts selling lossless songs. The good thing about a lossless format is that you can convert it into whatever other format you want without losing anything. Personally I'd pick FLAC.

-
M
I agree, WMA lossless and Apple Lossless isn't widely supported while FLAC is, at least currently, which is why my choice was FLAC...

A lot of hardware supports FLAC, like the Cowon D2, which will me my next portable player

Edit: BTW I am using an extension readily available for windows media player to play FLAC, OGG, and various other formats, look for the link HERE: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Also I use EAC (exact audio copy) which now has the FLAC extension already included. Its widely regarded as one of the best free rippers you can find...

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde...rces/download/
Old 21st December 2007, 08:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

For ease of use I went for wma. Necessity dictated I go to lossless when I upgraded my DAC to a DDDAC. Suddenly those previously good sounding mp3 sounded mudded and not right.

I use Windows media centre as my player and the wma codec is easy to set up. So much so that whenever I put in a new disc it autocopies the contents to my HD in lossless format.

I find the WMA indistinguishable from the origional, it auto tags effectively. I use it on a drastically slowed down Athlon XP processor (passive cooled) and Vista. The processing is not to intensive even for this arrangement.

This ease of use I think should not be undervalued. It makes me far more likely to pick up an old CD from the colection and enjoy it on a whim.

Lifes to short to sit ripping hundreds of CD's manually, hence WMA gets my vote. My microsoft hatred/paranoia has softened over the last few years anyhow.

JB
Old 21st December 2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Re: Which format to rip cds?

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
Tried FLAC and OGG but wasn't really happy with the end results.
In what sense were you not too happy; sound wise, compression wise or ease of use?

/Hugo

Hide this!Advertise here!