USB DAC possibilities for <$150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure what's the difference between Option 1 and 2. A trick question?

While Scott Nixon's dac is a known quantity these "options" are really not what one would call a "usb dac". It is more of a headphone preamp with, among other things, a usb input. How well that "powerful DSP" works can be anyone's guess. An ADC in a DAC?! Too weird for my taste. And too little left to diy.

Ang said:
Are you referring to the USB module without the Opus?

Nope, including the opus... Price is about $50 more expensive than what you wanted to pay... (but includes the transformer)

analog_sa said:

For very similar performance it seems about 3x more expensive than the ebay dac. But it's made in the USA :)

Ahem... Including shipping and transformer, it will not be a huge difference... (how do you calculate that 3x more expensive???)
I cannot comment on the performance of those e-bay-dac's, since I don't own one and they don't give schematics.
What I can do is tell you I have an Opus, and yes, it can compete with the best out there...

OneyedK said:

I cannot comment on the performance of those e-bay-dac's, since I don't own one and they don't give schematics.

Who needs schematics? It's obviously a datasheet implementation of 2707/some spdif receiver + PCM1798 + standard opamp IV/filter. And a tube socket :) But really nice caps throughout.

I realise that "DIY" projects are usually more expensive than commercial, particularly second-hand stuff but for $90 you get a whole lot of qualty parts which is quite unusual.

I may be reading the Twistedpear price list wrongly but for the same functionality (USB/Coax/optical, no ASRC) and part count 3x seems about right.

What Anq needs:
Opus DAC + USB Receiver Combo ([1] DAC Module (Assembled and Tested), [1] USB Receiver Module (Assembled and Tested), [1] LCDPS Kit) $175.00 USD
Avel Lindberg Transformer (115V+115V prim. / 15V+15V 15VA sec.) $22.00 USD
United States shipping cost $0 USD
International shipping cost $6 USD

I don't want to argue, but this is great value for money.
Maybe you don't need a schematic to be happy (to me that's added value) but the knowledge you really get support if you need it, is priceless to me.

btw, I don't trust a designer who places a tube so close to an electrolytic capacitor.
And I do know the price for a good stransformer to feed that tube (I build and rebuild Fender and Marshall amp clones and originals),
so I think the advertised price is only half the total cost (including shipping).

Opus is great choice. You can start with the basic modules and add as you need. The boards are pre-built (mostly surface mount components). The PS is the only board you have to solder. Mine worked right away. I'm not sure if the DAC chip in the other kits is pre-soldered, but if you have never done surface mount, that could be a real challenge. I have some pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/bugandang/Hifi02?authkey=9Q4ATFWceoQ

MASantos said:
analog_sa, just because the chips are the same doesn't mean that the quality of the dac, boards, and design is the same. There are tons of designs for amps, dac's ,pre amps out there using similar parts but with very different performance specs.

Don't think i've said the chips were the same. Nor that the performance was equal. My comments were just based on perceived value. Which of the two actually sounds better is anyone's guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.