Do you know some webside's with soundcard review's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, have any of you some link's to site's, who
discuss, or make test of some audiofile sound-card's ?

I looking, for the right card for me... As a followup, from my previus quistion, about a cheap sound-card suggestion.

Hmmm.. I made up my mind to spend some more money, instead compromising with some
Audigy-card, I was thinking 100$ - 200$ (US)

I allready have the M-audio Audiophile 2496 card in mind, which can be bought in Germany for around 140Euro (Approximately the same as US-$), Or the Terratec EWX94/96, at about the same price, which I could buy here in Denmark. but it seem's to me, that the driver for the M-audio, is more LINUX-minded, which is a must for me, as I will only use this card, if it's run under LINUX.

I have a hard time, making my dessiscion, so please help me... ;)...

[
I allready have the M-audio Audiophile 2496 card in mind, which can be bought in Germany for around 140Euro (Approximately the same as US-$), Or the Terratec EWX94/96, at about the same price, which I could buy here in Denmark. but it seem's to me, that the driver for the M-audio, is more LINUX-minded, which is a must for me, as I will only use this card, if it's run under LINUX.

-----------------------------------
Don't trust these sites. The reviewers are not music/audio orientated. They tend to recommend Creative which is about the worse card to go for if you are not interested in games. The Terratec is fine; so is the M audio. However, the latter uses the NE5532 which sounds somewhat harsh. I don't know about Linus though.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Do you know some webside's with soundcard review's ?

fmak said:
[
Don't trust these sites. The reviewers are not music/audio orientated. They tend to recommend Creative which is about the worse card to go for if you are not interested in games.

Hi fmak

I agree (partially) about Creative, (they are cheap) but what’s wrong about Syntrillium?
Those guys have a very nice and cheap music-editing program
and the forum is not about gaming at all.
Have you read parts of the forum, been there?
:scratch:

/Hugo - would like to know what's wrong with the Syntrillium guys :eek:

Re: Re: Re: Do you know some webside's with soundcard review's ?

Netlist said:

Hi fmak

I agree (partially) about Creative, (they are cheap) but what’s wrong about Syntrillium?
Those guys have a very nice and cheap music-editing program
and the forum is not about gaming at all.
Have you read parts of the forum, been there?
:scratch:

/Hugo - would like to know what's wrong with the Syntrillium guys :eek:
----------------------------------------
Nothing wrong with Syntrillium. What I said was not to trust review sites. For example PCAVTech is very out of date. Tom.com is just commercial. User reviews are very scarce and often tells you little in relation to what you need.

I trusted review sites and bought the Audigy 2. The actual performance of the card is not even respectable. Do a search to see my comments.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you know some webside's with soundcard review's ?

fmak said:

----------------------------------------
Nothing wrong with Syntrillium. What I said was not to trust review sites. For example PCAVTech is very out of date. Tom.com is just commercial. User reviews are very scarce and often tells you little in relation to what you need.

Fully agree now!! ;)

You can search for measures which are made with the “Independent Audio Measurements Open-Source Project Rightmark Audio analyser”. The tool can be downloaded free and is very easy to use and generates automatically the following results directly in htlm format if wanted:

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB
Noise level, dB (A)
Dynamic range, dB (A)
THD, %
IMD, %
Stereo crosstalk, dB

See example at:
http://audio.rightmark.org/test/lynx-two-b-32192.html

sites with more tests with Rightmark :
http://audio.rightmark.org/results.html
http://www.compel.com.tr/faq/testler.htm
http://free.polbox.pl/j/jh0909/test_en.htm

mermoz said:
You can search for measures which are made with the “Independent Audio Measurements Open-Source Project Rightmark Audio analyser”. The tool can be downloaded free and is very easy to use and generates automatically the following results directly in htlm format if wanted:

http://free.polbox.pl/j/jh0909/test_en.htm
--------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded the 4.43 version and found that it gave infinite frequency response, -600 dB S/N and 130 dB separation on a Terratec EWX2496 card.

I then downloaded 4.42 and this gave plausible results but very clean S/N and separation spectra, with NO deviation in frequency response; a higher thd at 96/24 than 96/16.

The nos. seem more or less correct but the details are very suspect - my system is not that good!!

Does anyone know if there is a bug?

I don't seem to be able to save the results for posting here either.

fmak said:

--------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded the 4.43 version and found that it gave infinite frequency response, -600 dB S/N and 130 dB separation on a Terratec EWX2496 card.

I then downloaded 4.42 and this gave plausible results but very clean S/N and separation spectra, with NO deviation in frequency response; a higher thd at 96/24 than 96/16.

The nos. seem more or less correct but the details are very suspect - my system is not that good!!

Does anyone know if there is a bug?

I don't seem to be able to save the results for posting here either.
---------------------------------------------------
Further to this I read the manaual which tells you to connect the output to the input. I did this and got the even more dubious result of +12 dB -4dB in the frequency response, with the graph showing a very very uneven sweep result!. The other tests gave plausible but inferior results to not shorting input and output. What IS going on?

Re: The other tests gave plausible but inferior results to not shorting input and output.

mermoz said:
how did you make your mesures without shorting input and output ? Have you a high quality reference card ?

an other site where you can find test made with Rightmark
http://www.digit-life.com/sound.html
-----------------------------
No just the Terratec. At first I didn't read the manual and just assumed that the signals would be routed through. I couls actually hear this on the sound card output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.