CD723/753 tweaking! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2003, 07:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Massimo:

I've done most of the mods detailed at Decibel Dungeaon including the ones on the transport pcb. I did it the way it was decribed on the website ... which you say is wrong.

What happens if the S/PDIF output of the Signal Processor IC is isolated? What affect does it have on the sound?

So far my CDP works fine & the mod to the transport pcb did make an improvement. Just wondering whether I should change it?

I've Marantz CD4000 which is a re-badged Philips CD723.
Old 25th February 2003, 09:36 AM   #12
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Does this Philips CD723 has anything to do with the Marantz CD48?

Miguel
Old 25th February 2003, 10:31 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure but I don't think so cos the CD48 was an older model. The current generation of Marantz models share many things in common with the current Phikps models.

Philips CD723 = Marantz CD4000
Philips CD753 = Marantz CD5000 (if I'm not mistaken)

Only difference is the Marantz use better quality parts in some areas in the case of the CD4000 ... it uses Cerafine caps for the opamp PS & bypass. I've attached a pic of my CD4000 ... the internals look exactlly the same as the CD723
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck_small.jpg (22.6 KB, 3482 views)
Old 25th February 2003, 10:57 AM   #14
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Thanks binatang. I am looking for ways to improve my CD48 but cannot find anything related with this model.
Old 25th February 2003, 04:43 PM   #15
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by binatang
Massimo:

I've done most of the mods detailed at Decibel Dungeaon including the ones on the transport pcb. I did it the way it was decribed on the website ... which you say is wrong.

What happens if the S/PDIF output of the Signal Processor IC is isolated? What affect does it have on the sound?

So far my CDP works fine & the mod to the transport pcb did make an improvement. Just wondering whether I should change it?

I've Marantz CD4000 which is a re-badged Philips CD723.
I also have a cd 4000.... ;-)

If you do the mods as detailed on that web page, I strongly suspect you cannot source a bit out of the DigOut in your player.
Simply because the instructions say to remove a component which is in SERIES with the S/PDIF signal (from the SAA7378GP to the board connector)
You must then short 3896 (and not remove as stated, being in series with the signal) and remove the other two components which are connected from signal to ground.
If you use the Marantz as a player, you don't notice anything, but if you connect a DAC......

On the analog output side, if you add 470 uH + 820 pF to form an RLC filter toghter with 3539/3541 and you don't remove 2512/2514, these caps remain in series with the RLC modifying the behaviour of the filter. You still have a signal at the output, but not as intended by the clever guy who developed this mod.

I'm pretty sure about what I'm saying..... I exchanged mails with Nuuk on this topic......

I hope this will help.
Old 25th February 2003, 04:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

P.S. what is the red pcb in your player?
Old 25th February 2003, 08:50 PM   #17
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I would think the red PCB is a new clock? , btw what dac does that player use?...

I think Analog Devices not "the analog devices" but a german diyfirm sells a Pcb with some crystal chips for uppgrading the philips 7xx and marantz 4-5000 maybe worth checking out?

I dont find any web reference for them but it was an article in Klang und Ton not so long ago.

/micke
Old 25th February 2003, 08:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifi
I would think the red PCB is a new clock? , btw what dac does that player use?...

I think Analog Devices not "the analog devices" but a german diyfirm sells a Pcb with some crystal chips for uppgrading the philips 7xx and marantz 4-5000 maybe worth checking out?

I dont find any web reference for them but it was an article in Klang und Ton not so long ago.

/micke
Maybe the red pcb it's a new clock.... it look like and the position also... close to the servo board.

That article may be useful. Try to find it out.

The DAC is a TDA 1545A with Iout
Old 25th February 2003, 09:04 PM   #19
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I got the article but no means to scan it
there is no mail fax or internet reference to the firm only a telephone number and an adress.

think the board used cs8420 for uppsampling dont remeber witch dac but it was a replacement card for the existing board and it did acept I2C the cost for a naked board was 75

/ micke
Old 26th February 2003, 03:43 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Massimo:

Thanks for the info ... makes sense. I'll probably leave the mod as it is as I don't use the digi out.

The weird thing is ... it did make the player sound better thru the analog out. I'm using a LM6172 opamp & it sounded very aggressive. The changes to the transport pcb (tho wrong) did tame the harshness. A few other people also noticed the same thing.

The red pcb is a clock mod. Beside mods found at Decibel Dungeon ... I also changed numerous passive parts with good results.

*Better caps with higher capacitance
*Audio grade resistors in the signal chain.

The DAC is a TDA1545.

Hide this!Advertise here!