How can I add a "Digital In" to my current cd player ? (Make it work as a DAC )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can I add a "Digital In" to my current cd player ? (Make it work as a DAC )

I have a Copland 289 cd player and would like to be able to use it as a standalone DAC as well as an integrated cd player.

It has a digital output, so one can use it as a transport, but it lacks any digital input, so I can not use it as a DAC to use other transports (aka modified apple airport express)

I would like to modify it so I can use it as a Dac, but the spanish importer has told me it is simply not possible to do it.
This project is completely out of my reach-I reckon my limit is set to loudspeaker crossover design,and even then, I reckon there are many more talented guys out there...

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain me what to do and how to do it. I would probably have to pay a technician to do the hard work for me so if there is someone willing to do it here in the forum ..... (I wouldn´t dare to put the soldering iron into the Copland - I had to save for months before I could afford it second hand,,)

Many thanks ,

B

It can be done. Marantz and Teac have or have had models with digital inputs. You just have to pay attention to how you switch between the clock domain of the transport section and the clock domain associated with the digital input as it can get a little tricky.
The little I know about of the '289 suggests it is a fairly conservative HDCD-equipped design so it shouldn't be a problem.

Re: How can I add a "Digital In" to my current cd player ? (Make it work as a DAC )

b_online said:
I would appreciate it if somebody could explain me what to do and how to do it. I would probably have to pay a technician to do the hard work for me so if there is someone willing to do it here in the forum ..... (I wouldn´t dare to put the soldering iron into the Copland - I had to save for months before I could afford it second hand,,)

Just don't do it. An average technician will have no clue what to do and it does involve major surgery.

It will obviously be essential to add a littler daughter board with an spdif receiver + regulator(s) and some relays or other means of switching. It will very likely involve cutting pcb traces and generally making a mess of the inside and possibly the resale value. In complexity and work it won't be that much easier than building a dac from scratch.

Yes, rfbrw can do it but he's not likely your neighbourhood tech :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.