Sound cards for use with laptop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some advice urgently as there is a deal going on Dell Vostrol ( low cost end of the Dell line) laptops. I was going to upgrade an old desktop I have to use specifically for speaker design but a laptop makes more sense as it can be used more easily anywhere around the house. This model has sound on the motherboard and I have read on several posts that the sound on most laptops is not up to scratch for the various software we use. Is there a card available that will work through a USB port. What are others using with Laptops. I am interested in products that are available in Australia.

Please don't tell me to get an apple - would love to but can't afford it.
Thanks for any advice, jamikl

I have found the built-in sound I/O on newer Dell notebooks, such as my Inspiron 6000 to be quite good for loudspeaker measurements. Low noise and flat FR from 30-18000.

The main limitation is that the mic input is mono only, and therefore not usable for impedance measurements and other applications that require 2-channel input. For that I have used the Creative Xmod USB module which is low noise and flat FR (make sure thee special X-fi features are OFF).
The M-audio Transit is supposed to be one of the better USB adapters.

SveinB.

Here are some things I would look for:

Microphone inputs with phantom power supply
Line inputs
Line outputs
Power supply from USB
NO tone controls
NO windows mixer, but knobs on the "soundcard".

And the following are nice, but not nessecary for loudspeaker measurement:

192 kHz/24 bit sampling
4 channels of output might allow for experiments with software crossovers and eq.

Here are some things I would look for:

Microphone inputs with phantom power supply
Line inputs
Line outputs
Power supply from USB
NO tone controls
NO windows mixer, but knobs on the "soundcard".

And the following are nice, but not nessecary for loudspeaker measurement:

192 kHz/24 bit sampling
4 channels of output might allow for experiments with software crossovers and eq

Looks like you are desccribing E-MU0404 USB:D

FWIW, I had nothing but problems with two different M-Audio Transit USB sound cards with my HP laptop. I had trouble getting them to load per their instructions and their tech support was pretty much worhtless. I ended up sending one back and selling the other.

I decided to try this one instead: Edirol UA-1EX
I purchased it here:Sweetwater

These guys were great to work with.

The Edirol worked from the outset. No driver installation problems and they explain EVERYTHING you need to do during the install, unlike the M-Audio, whose documentation did not follow what happened on screen and they didn't tell you about other USB quirks you had to avoid, Windows XP settings to adjust, etc. I like the fact that the Edirol includes RCA L&R in and out for simpler cable connections.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Paul W said:
I also had problems with the Transit USB on a Toshiba laptop. Same lousy experience with their Tech support.

I have a transit USB which I use with an absolutely ancient Compaq Armada 7400 running XP Pro, never had any problems other than the fact that it is relatively slow.

I've heard a lot of people have problems with M Audio codecs but I haven't had any issues with either the pci Audiophile 2496 in an Athlon XP equipped Asus mobo I used in my media server or the Transit on any desk top or laptop in the house. (Dell Inspiron 2600 w/XP Pro and Gigabyte 64 bit homebrew also with XP Pro.)

Note that the USB Transit is not full duplex above 48kHz sampling rates!

YMMV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.