Sony SCD-777ES MODS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2007, 04:31 PM   #1
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Talking Sony SCD-777ES MODS

A bit of background here:

I am just about to get a slightly used 777 (picking up tomorrow) and have browsed through some of the old threads discussing this unit, but decided rather than resurrect some long dead marginally related thread I would start a new one..

Anyway I have noted there are a huge number of very expensive mods still available for this player, particularly notable are the mods from VSA with their newest "stage 5" mod. (Some of these mods cost more than the player, which still isn't exactly "cheap")

Many of you know me from other parts of the forum, and I am very unlikely to send anything to anyone to be modded. More than capable of designing my own, or installing someone else's if that floats my boat..

I need to get the player and listen to it for a bit before I decide what to do, (if anything) however I am curious to hear from others who may have done their own upgrades to the player.

I did an extensive number of mods to my last SACD player - a Sony SCD-XB770, and while there were substantial improvements in performance the overall result was a bit disappointing. CD playback is execrable on this model, SACD playback was much better than the stock player, but does not compare favorably to my flac based media server - something wrong with that.. (Mods include Tent clock, 74V series clock divider, low noise psu for clock, and audio path upgrades. I had intended to grab the dsd directly and integrate it, but now think the effort would be better spent on a much better player - in keeping with the quality of the rest of my system.)

Anyone tried the National LM4562 in place of the stock OPA2604 ? My Zhaolu had these stock and replacing them with 4562 made not subtle improvements to the performance of this cheap dac, so much so in fact that after six months and repeated A/B tests I sold my PS Audio Ultralink II and use the slightly modded Zhaolu instead.

So my plan is to listen for a while first, then replace op-amps..
Perhaps next get an LC Audio clock module and supply.

Comments from anyone having experience with this player or the scd-1 would be appreciated.
Old 5th December 2007, 05:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I replaced I/V op amps for LM4562 and took balanced signal output directly from here (no mixing amp, no filtering, no output stage).

That output is connected to S&B T102 TVC and it sounds so good that I'm not tempted to do any other mods. I tried to replace stock rectifiers, but they were better than my favourite diodes. I cleaned up PS a bit by removing filter caps and choke.

I will not touch the clock as whenever I tried to replace the stock oscillator with more apporoved clock the results were always worse.

Before SCD777ES I bought Sony NS9100ES based on favourably reviewed Wright modified unit, but that player was inferiorior to stock SCD777.

I have quite a few CD transports (CEC TL0, ML31.5, ML37) but this Sony in it's own way stands out and I will not get rid of it soon. It is very good, both soundwise and mechanically. I don't think you will ever come across better built transport, even TL0 by comparison does not seem impressive.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th December 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Subscribe to the thread...

I have the SCD-777ES since it came out new. Agree with Peter that it is a very good transport.

I just bought some LM4562 to replace OPAs. And I have the service manual in my hands.

On top of that, I'll try to get to the DSD stream, convert it to 24bit 96KHz PCM, and output it to my DEQX preamp.
Old 5th December 2007, 08:16 PM   #4
dddac is online now dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

I modded with passive I/V into Transformer output. Also a way to go and you get a very analogue sound by doing so. very clean very open. May be somewhat lesser bass, but if I want that, I can switch back to opamp output (made it so, it can be used both ways)

On my website you see a detailed report including all cicruits ...

www.dddac.de

or go direct to the page
Old 5th December 2007, 09:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Doede, I guess you mean XA777ES, while the thread is with regards to SCD-777ES.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scd.jpg (85.6 KB, 1139 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th December 2007, 09:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, I'm getting the SCD-777ES top loading unit, close cousin to the SCD-1 and not to be confused with the XA777 model. Sony could have made it easier by calling it something like the SCD-2.

Thanks for all the input guys, so far all very useful to me. I'm planning to live with it for a few weeks and then do some of those mods. At some point I might consider tapping the DSD stream directly and doing some of the things hinted at in the VSA stage 5 mods.

Peter, thanks for the tip on the clock - I'll stay away from that for the moment and make sure that changes in this area - if I make them, are reversible.

Old 5th December 2007, 10:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Kevin, in case you didn't see it yet, here's the link to some interesting mods posted on audioasylum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...24#post1159724
Old 7th December 2007, 03:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Picked it up last night, sans disk clamp and remote. Disk clamp is in the mail - can't wait to listen to it. Hopefully clamp will be in tomorrow's mail.. I'll see about the remote next time I am in the vicinity.

Anyone upgraded the firmware to 2.53 to fix the noise burst at disk end issue on some mc sacds?
Old 12th December 2007, 04:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Unhappy Mechanism issues

I finally got the disk stabilizer yesterday and attempted to play a couple of different sacds and cds. I started with sacds and the first one I played started out ok until I advanced to the next track where it after about 10 seconds returned a "no disk" error. This happened repeatedly as I reloaded the disk and tried again, same error, then tried fast forward instead of next track and it was able to play the following tracks. Several other sacds exhibited the same error and one consistently would not play at all. I then played a cd which seemed to play just fine, exercised the mechanism by repeatedly selecting the beginning and ending tracks on the cd. After this all sacds including the one that would not play previously also played normally. This morning I put the sacd that previously had always been recognized in the drawer, and after the mandatory wait the player returned the "no disk" error.

The player was replaced with a SCD-1 about 5 yrs ago and has sat unpowered (and covered) in a warm dry equipment rack mostly unused for the interim.

It seems to work fine after some warm up time and exercise with a cd first. (Very limited experience.) Has anyone encountered similar problems with this player when it has sat around for a long time? And if so what was the solution. (The sled motor was replaced early in the player's life.)

Firmware version is 2.20

Sounds glorious when it actually plays.
Old 13th December 2007, 05:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

I've been talking to some people on the hirez forums at AA and it turns out that Sony service is pretty good, and there is plenty of information on cleaning and lubing the mechanism - so I'll try that first and if unsuccessful I will send it off to Sony in Laredo, TX.

Unlike many other high end players their manufacturer has not orphaned them.

Hide this!Advertise here!