low ppm crystal clock?m where

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Low PPM crystal

casouza said:
Hello
There are lots of different manufacturers in that page. Do you have a specific recommendation or can point out which brands/models are low PPM ?:confused:
Best wishes

Hi casouza,
The question for a low ppm crystal I get over and over again.
Let's suppose the crystal is 50ppm too high in frequency. The result will be that the CD-player turns the disc 50 ppm too fast and the music is 50 ppm too high in pitch. Can you hear that??? Musicians are using a tuning fork to stay in pitch. How accurate would that be?. On my table is laying the package of a LCaudioclock. It states 2ppm!
In my opinion what matters is the amount of jitter NOT the accuracy of the crystal. Jitter depends on the circuit used, including the powersupply.

footnote 1ppm = 1 part per million= 1/1000000=1/10000 %

:bulb:

Elso, you are quite right. Exact frequency at varying voltage, temperature, aging etc is overkill if we talk a stand alone CD-player. As you say jitter is the most important parameter and also that the clock signal doesn't interfere with other circuits which can be the case if you tweak too much.

BTW: 2 ppm from, LC Audio, is that really true. What about temperature drift and ageing?

ppm

peranders said:
Elso, you are quite right. Exact frequency at varying voltage, temperature, aging etc is overkill if we talk a stand alone CD-player. As you say jitter is the most important parameter and also that the clock signal doesn't interfere with other circuits which can be the case if you tweak too much.

BTW: 2 ppm from, LC Audio, is that really true. What about temperature drift and ageing?
Hi Per,
The package has it printed : 2ppm.
The Lcaudio clock has a trimmer cap. If they have a accurate counter and adjust the trimmer I believe the spec.
Yes the clocksignal can interfere with other circuits. I am thinking about shielding the oscillator. The clocksignal can also "travel" through the powersupply to circuits where it is completely unwelcome. A separate clocksupply or a well Pi-filtered supply can improve the situation. I noted in a CD380 when I connected my clock to the +/-15V analog supply sound detoriated considerably even with the PI-filters installed.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.