New member with CD player question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've just joined the forum and would like some feedback on which CD player would be best. I want to buy something 2nd hand for a reasonable amount of money. I'm looking at a Marantz CD63 MKII KI or an Arcam CD72/73. Some advice on which would make the best choice would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
canetoad said:
Hi,

I've just joined the forum and would like some feedback on which CD player would be best. I want to buy something 2nd hand for a reasonable amount of money. I'm looking at a Marantz CD63 MKII KI or an Arcam CD72/73. Some advice on which would make the best choice would be greatly appreciated.

Well that depends on what you want. I'd say the CD63 MKII is a bit long in the tooth frankly and would recommend the CD67SE provided you plan to tinker.

I would probably go with the Arcam if I wanted a good box stock CD player, but there are models from Meridian that might be worth a look as well.

Consider budgetary models from Shanling like the PCD300 available reasonably from http://www.diykits.com.hk/wai_wai_valve_company.htm. I have bought stuff from diykits and was nothing if not completely pleased - however I have not heard the little Shanling.. I am tempted though..

...only those brands?

On ebay UK you have a Cambridge CD3 up for auction, ending in four days. Look for item nr. 300177051941

I have a CD2 and a CD3, and these are incredible. Really, the description the guy gives in the auction is true.

I have not compared directly with the models you propose, but
I have extensively A-B compared with a Cambridge D500SE and a Denon 2560 (this one with improved opamps or discrete out stages)
and even the older CD2 (built much worse than the CD3) big time beats both. (Are these more or less in the league of the Marantzes you have in mind?)
(My current diy challenge is to bring the Denon up to par with the sweet DAC3; I'm only close to the *stock* CD2 for now...)

These old Cambridge 4 x 1541s pop up quite regularly in the UK, much less in the rest of Europe... if shipment wasn't so damn expensive, I would buy them all!

Of course they're old machines, and the lasers may not last forever, but you can always keep the sweet DAC...

_

Hi,

I am a big fan of the Rotel RCD-965BX or if you are lucky, the RCD-965BX Limited Edition for a nice Modding project with nice sound before and even better afterward. The best part is they are cheap ijn the UK on eBay all the time.

I have two, a BX and a BX LE and I am modding the BX now.

Good luck!

Regards//keith

Originally posted by wckong:
Anyone can suggest a reasonable price for a second-handed Cambridge CD3?

(Late reply, but maybe of reference to others in the future.)

A couple of CD3's went on eBay just last week.

One in good working order went for about 350 Euros on eBay UK.
One with a defect went for about 200 Euros ("noisy analog output" -- maybe just the output relay? a burnt DAC? out stages are just NE5534 for I/V and a passive filter...)

A good slice more than what I paid for mine last year, but still worth this price, in my humble opinion.

_

Re: Re: New member with CD player question

kevinkr said:

Consider budgetary models from Shanling like the PCD300 available reasonably from http://www.diykits.com.hk/wai_wai_valve_company.htm I have bought stuff from diykits and was nothing if not completely pleased - however I have not heard the little Shanling.. I am tempted though..

Yeah the new PCD300 looks interesting.. I've email them about the price and they said its about $250. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: New member with CD player question

xaudiox said:

Yeah the new PCD300 looks interesting.. I've email them about the price and they said its about $250. :)

I've done business with these guys, and have nothing but praise for the way they do business. My dac was shipped very quickly and arrived here in Boston in just a few days. It was very well packed in addition, and was ready to go right out of the box.

I ended up going really high end for a sacd/cd player so for the time being at least the Shanling is off the list.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.