High-Frequency Noise in CD Recordings - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2007, 06:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default High-Frequency Noise in CD Recordings

Hello. After asking a highly knowledgeable friend, I've decided to ask the forum.

Why do I see a low-level frequency 'line' (FFT derived) during many recordings which appears to be around the 16KHz range? Moon Over Bourbon Street (Sting) on the Bring on the Night Disc 2 has it. Cosmic Thing (B-52's) on the Cosmic Thing disc has it to a lesser degree. Take Me To The River (Talking Heads) on the Sand in the Vaseline Disc 1 has one around 20KHz.

I cannot easily locate all the songs where I have noticed this phenomenon but it's there frequently and constantly. But why?

Did something go awry in during the recording session??

Thanks,
Joe
Old 28th November 2007, 06:16 AM   #2
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Interesting question.
I've noticed the same with different cd's, and i will listen in on this, as i have no clue what does it.

best regards
Ebbe
Old 28th November 2007, 06:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

My only assumption is that the 'spurious' data/frequency is:

(1) From a malfunctioning recording device
(2) From an inessential device emanating frequency in the studio
(3) Some sort of psychoacoustic addition to the recording

What do you think? I am seeking any and all thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 28th November 2007, 07:14 AM   #4
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I became aware of this when first hearing CDs, and shopping for my first player. I likened it to a 'TV line whistle'

Although I could hear the noise clearly (and initially assumed that it was inherent in the CD system), none of the salesmen demonstrating the equipment claimed to be able to hear it!
At that time, it seemed to be a problem with virtually all CDs.

These days, I hear it less often - but perhaps that's just due to deterioration in my hearing.

I do wonder if it's this phenomenon which some listeners liken to 'fingernails down a blackboard'.
Old 28th November 2007, 07:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, I admit that high frequencies are harder to hear due to my age, attendance of many loud concerts at First Avenue (Minneapolis), and in possession of full-range output high-quality devices, but I have become curious to know why they are there.

Perhaps an audio engineer will provide the answer?

BTW, I can still always tell when a muted TV is on due to its inherent 'squeal.' haha

Thanks!
Joe
Old 28th November 2007, 07:33 AM   #6
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why do I see a low-level frequency 'line' (FFT derived)
How far down is this signal? Can you post an example?
Old 28th November 2007, 08:15 AM   #7
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

IME, it's modulated by the music signal - i.e. quite audible over loud passages, but rarely so during silence.
Old 28th November 2007, 08:16 AM   #8
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you're talking about the peaks at -92 to -100dB, this is caused by dithering techniques.

An interesting example can be found on the "Best of Chesky Classics & Jazz and Audiophile Test Disc Volume 3". Tracks 40 to 44 demonstate different dither levels, and you can see the peaks in the top end of the spectrum change with different dither, 16 bit, 20 bit and "high resolution" dithers.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:42 AM   #9
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Funny thing. I had the same thought about the tv-line frequency, when i saw it the first time. It's very close indeed.
Admitted, i can't hear it either, but i can see it in Cool Edit, when i look at a sample. A clear spike a little over 16Khz.

very strange
Old 28th November 2007, 12:39 PM   #10
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

i have also heard that high pitch on dvd's, usually when there is just someone speaking, and its audible on my "cheap" dvd player and on my computer. its not throughout the movie, and not with all movies either

Hide this!Advertise here!