Adcom GCD-575 CD Player (from 1988): based on Sony, Philips?; need service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently acquired one of these units. This model first appeared in ~1988 and is based on a TDA1541 DAC. It features 4x oversampling, but I'm not sure which DF is used. I think the transport is Sony.

See images here.

Can anyone guess at what major-manuf unit (Sony, Philips, etc.) this model may be mostly based on?

Also, if anyone has a copy of the service manual or any experience modding this unit, please let me know.

Thx!

I have one of those. Loved the ability to change polarity with the remote control. Was using as a transport for a while, but the capacitors started leaking a while back, so it is now out of commission. I looked into replacing caps, but the commonly available ones from Digi-Key in the higher grades didn't have the same lead spacing, so it may get a little messy. It looks like it takes a bit of work to dig the board out of the chassis to do the work. It does look doable, though, since surface mount components are not used. It looks like you have some leaky caps, also.

CDX1088, capacitor leak, CD spin wobble

pooge said:
It looks like you have some leaky caps, also.
Do you mean the ugly "ooze" at the bottom of some of the caps? This could be leakage. But the color of that ooze and the lack capacitor bulging does not seem to conform to at least these bad-capacitor guidelines:
http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

Shifting gears...

Anyone compare Sony's CXD1088 4x DF against Philips’ 7220? The Adcom pairs the TDA1541 with the Sony CDX1088 DF. Since the 7220 does not generally have a good reputation (well, not until it's properly bypassed and delicately powered), I wonder if the CDX1088 DF was chosen for its stock/untweaked "superior" performance?

The disk-spin motor's spindle shaft is long and skinny. It was slightly bent causing disk rotation to wobble. Using my fingers, I was able to straighten it, but not to an undetectable level. How critical is "out-of-true" disk spin to sonic performance?

I just acquired one of these players . I do not have a SM , but can tell you a few things. It indeed uses a Sony transport; KSS-150. I've seen this in several other players of same vintage , so you should be able to find a replacement. It does use what appears to be a good combo of chips , both Philips and Sony. But the most interesting part is a SOSHIN intergrated Low Pass Filter ic on the output of the 1541. Never saw this implimentation before and cannot find any good info on this device. I would really like to know more about this circuit.
The 'leakage' you see is really just adhesive that has turned dark over the years , but I will tell you that a recap of this player makes a big difference in bass drive and ease of listening. I also added some small caps to the power pins of the main ic's. The 1541 in particular.
I'm also not sure which op amps are used for the output , as there are ADCOM #'s on them. Wonder what they used back then.? All in all , a real nice sounding player

Adcom GCD 575

My Adcom skips all over the place, have concluded laser is shot. Opening it up, it does indeed use a Sony KSS-150A. B&D Enterprises states to use a KSS-210A as the 150A isn't available. Anyone ever do this swap? Anyone ever change the laser on the Adcom or have a service manual? Thanks.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.