Arcam alpha 7 CD - replaced laser but still skipping.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2007, 07:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Arcam alpha 7 CD - replaced laser but still skipping..

HI
After reading this excellent forum I ordered a replacement for my KSS-240A (it was a compatible NKS-240A as could not find a KSS). Its fitted and things seem *slightly* better but the damn thing still skips at the start of CDs. I guess it could be a motor issue, but does that explain why it usually only happnens at start of discs??

Anyway, lets assume it is the motor! Where can I get a new/used transport as my local Arcam dealer doesn't seem interested in repairing it and much rather I spent 900 on a new Arcam CD!!
Old 24th November 2007, 10:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go to dalbani.com & search "KHM2401AA" and see if that looks like the right sled/platter motor set. If it is, it's darn cheap. It certainly sounds like your platter motor is the problem, with very little doubt.
Old 25th November 2007, 02:22 AM   #3
MJW is offline MJW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Arcam 7

Hi Derek, sad to here of the problems. Below is a source for your actual lazer mech, although It may be a possible servo problem not the mech.
If you try to replace again with kss-240 give the whole of the rail assembly a clean down with alchohol and add the finest of dabs of atf oil or a fine machine oil.
You may want to consider buying another machine like yours on e-bay. It will assist you no end in tracing faults if you have a machine in working order as a reference. You can swap and change to pin down the problem. You then have a source of spares for the future etc. It's cheaper than buying a new player for 900 that you may not like as much anyway.
An arcam Delta 70.2 is better than a new arcam, especially with a few simple mods.
Here are the links:

kss-240

http://www.ersatzteil.justone-schnep..._kss_240a.html

e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCAM-ALPHA-7-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCAM-ALPHA-7-...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps. I'd just buy another if you like it.
Old 25th November 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi thanks for swift responses to my query!

I'm not too hot on electronics so limited to swapping parts mostly so the idea of getting an Ebay item is a good one. I'll check what work is required to swap out the motor as thats pretty much as far as I can go without swapping the whole tray/mech.

On that subject can anyone advise on where I start looking for one a new tray/mech (and approx price i should pay) if my Ebay search doesn't come up with anything?

For info my problem is very similar to this NAD issue
Skipping NAD 5000 CD player

Cheers
Derek
Old 25th November 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

hi,
maybe the flex-cable between laser and drive is "worn out"? I'd try to replace that first, if you can get one...a faulty connection between laser and drive-board may also cause skipping.
Is the motor/drive heavily vibrating while playing? I've had this in my Rega Planet once, due to defective motors i assume.
Cheers,
mickie
Old 25th November 2007, 06:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up MUCH BETTER!

Ok today I have taken the mech out and as suggested popped a spot of lube (some excellent ZX1) in the motor, arm, etc.

It seems to have improved things even more. Its not 100% but is OK 90% of the time which is a BIG improvement.

Now here's an odd thing - not wanting to stry too far off topic - It sounds more.. well.. bright and deep. Sort off like the mid-range has reduced if that makes sense? Could that be my old laser v the new one. I assume its all digital to the motherboard so am confused by the fact it doesn't seem to sound the same as I've only touched the digital bits in the cd mech!

All suggestions welcome as to why!

Finally a BIG THANK YOU to all who have helped me get this far!
Old 29th June 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Banned

In the early days of Philips CD mechanisms the ribbon cable between the transport and the laser assembly would become "work hardened". This was almost impossible to detect but the stiffening was sufficient to cause the juddering and skipping that you are decribing. I would replace the ribbon cable.

Hide this!Advertise here!