Denon 2900 clock upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 2900 being used almost exclusively as a digital transport. Mods so far are a PSU rebuild and a Audiopraise Vanity module. I am now able to listen to all media via my Benchmark DAC1 and am very happy with the results thus far. One characteristic the player has retained through the mods is the fact it takes 2-3 hours to really come on song. I have read here that some do not consider a clock upgrade to be worthwhile on this player, however I am thinking that a more stable clock would help it deliver its best sooner. I know that one of this players frailties is the reliability of the laser pick ups and so would not want to leave it on 24/7.:)

Opinions/experiences please.

I've had the clock replaced on my DVD2900, and even with the stock power supply (albeit with larger caps after the +/-9v linear regulators), it has made a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the performance of this unit as a player, and also noticeable improvement as a transport is heard through my 192/24 DAC.

BTW, would you please describe in detail what your power supply rebuild entailed?

-chas

Hi,
good to hear that a clock upgrade will be beneficial. I will be looking at the player again after I complete my present project (a turntable rebuild). The upgrade involved replacing all of the capacitors with Panasonics (I think!) and 5 diodes replaced with much beefier items. I actually got the PSU done professionally despite having the skills myself because I was very busy at the time.

Simeon wrote:
It was the four rectifier diodes and another of the same type close by.

Please be more specific- were these the diodes before(D901-904) or AFTER the Switching Transformer (D910-914)?

I am attaching a schematic diagram to help specify...

Thanks,
-chas

p.s. see my other DVD-2900 post in "Digital" forum

Attachments

• dvd2900ps1.jpg
    dvd2900ps1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 207
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.