Rotel RCD 971 Carriage Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having problems with the loading mechanism of this player. The symptom is that when I try to open the tray, it appears blocked or jammed.

When I take the top of the unit off, it's clear enough what is happening. There is a part, about 3" X 1.5" that is screwed down over the CD tray. In the middle is a about the size of a half dollar that can be lowered to clamp down on the CD. When the system is working, this part lowers itself to allow the tray to come out. When it is not working, the part fails to lower and the drawer jams.

I've unscrewed the part and taken it out and the drawer works fine. I put the part back in and it works for a while but then starts jamming. It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong because I've never seen this thing in good order, so I can't tell if something is amiss.

Any suggestions?

trombone said:
....... In the middle is a about the size of a half dollar that can be lowered to clamp down on the CD. When the system is working, this part lowers itself to allow the tray to come out. When it is not working, the part fails to lower and the drawer jams. ............

It's usually the laser mech that rises up to meet the 'half dollar'. The disc clamp is as simple as it seems. It's just a plastic and metal disc that rotates when the C.D. and spindle motor (usually magnetic) is raised to make contact with it.

I would first carefully check that the laser mech is seated properly and is free of obstruction.

What laser mech does it use?

Regards,
Martin. :)

Not sure what kind of laser. Maybe a Sony?

What makes this weird is that the problem is intermittent. I take off the part with the "half dollar", screw it back in and the thing works again. Play some CDs in the system, and eventually it jams again. Repeat the above process, and it works. Etc. Making this more exasperating is that if all I do is open it and close it for awhile when it's on the bench it works. It's only after I put it back in the system that it misbehaves again. Perhaps this has something to do with the system failing to reset after playing a particular CD but I'm not sure how to find out what is wrong there.

Its very possible the drawer tray motor rubber belt has perished or broken. You'll have to carefully dismantle the loading assembly to get to the belt.

Coincidently, some weeks ago I had the same problem of it shut and wouldn't move. Replacement of that little belt solved the problem.

The other only thing that could go wrong is the laser assembly which is a Sony KSS-213C which is likely weak and trying to read amy cd's Table of contents thus causing abnomal delay, giving the impression its jammed.

I'll see if I can find the belt. I suspected it might be something like that. If it is the belt, where can I get a new one?

As for the second thought, I've seen this thing jam up with the cover open. It certainly looks jammed--I can see the assembly trying to pull the thing down unsuccessfully. And it happens frequently with no CD in the tray.

Thanks.

The belt is just underneath the tray. Its advisable to unhook the laser head ribbon cable carefully, unhook all the individual cable groups to and from the loader assembly (unplug some terminating at the main board) and remove the whole assembly from the chassis. Its easier this way.
Off hand I'm not able to recall which screws to undo to remove the tray and you don't have to remove the laser assembly at all.
Once the tray is removed, you can see the pulley and belt. There's only one belt there.
Give me your email address and I'll send you the service manual (RCD-O2 model which is almost identical except for DAC section) which gives an exploded view of the entire loader and mechanism.

Well, I got the new belt and it's installed. I don't suppose you remember what the trick is to get the tray lined up with the gears for reinstallation, do you. (I never actually took it out. Once I was able to remove the gear cover, I could put in th enew belt.

Somehow, I'm missing something. Either that, or this thing has been loose, and that has been my problem all along. I don't think so, though, because the tray can run free of the gears now, and it never did that before.

I have to say that the old belt didn't look that bad.

In any case, thanks.

I also have a carriage problem, though the reverse: the carriage refuses to remain closed (except once in a while). I identified the problem: the lens assembly doesn't rise enough, and then after a few seconds the carriage is rejected. If I pull the lens assembly up slighty, all is fine and the process continues (spindle turns three times, lens is lifted three times, trying to read a CD).

Now I have to know why the lens assembly doesn't manage to get fully in place. I'd appreciate any tip!

A follow-up, which may be useful to someone else having the same issue. I contacted the Rotel tech support at the email given by Pars above, and they quickly replied that the belt needed to be changed, because it tends to become a little stretched over time, which prevents the carriage to fully close and is then ejected. It took a little while to find a reseller willing to order the part for me (Rotel/B&W wouldn't sell it directly to me here), then in two weeks after order I had the new part.
I'm pleased to say the problem is now fixed!

Rorqual said:
A follow-up, which may be useful to someone else having the same issue. I contacted the Rotel tech support at the email given by Pars above, and they quickly replied that the belt needed to be changed, because it tends to become a little stretched over time, which prevents the carriage to fully close and is then ejected. It took a little while to find a reseller willing to order the part for me (Rotel/B&W wouldn't sell it directly to me here), then in two weeks after order I had the new part.
I'm pleased to say the problem is now fixed!

Hi,

Thank you for you info, very usefull as I have the same problem...

Can you stille remember supplier and/or part number on the belt?

The supplier was still Rotel (or to be more exact, B&W since they own Rotel). But here, they don't sell parts directly to customers, so I had to ask a local Rotel dealer to order the part for me. The difficulty was in finding one willing to do it, because many don't do it anymore since it takes too much time (and doesn't bring them any revenue, which I suppose is the real problem!) : all they would accept to do is send the device to Rotel for repair, which is of course much more expensive, and probably not worth the cost for an old CD player. After many phone calls, I could thanksfully find a nice dealer. So I hope for you that in Denmark they're more cooperative!

As for part numbers, I didn't remember them... but had my email archive come to the rescue! ;) B&W USA gave me this one:

PART NUMBER = BT00007
DESCRIPTION = BELT, SQUARE SCQ3.2
MODEL = RCD-971
RETAIL PRICE = $3.40 each

But B&W France couldn't find it. For them, the reference is BLS26-01 (€5.50: nice price increase... I had to add €15 for shipping, too! Fixed cost no matter the weight...).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.