DIY ipod mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if the reports of similar to the Red Wine mods, then

they may very well be excellent. Another alternative, should you want it done correctly the first time, would be to contact Red Wine directly. I know this is diyAudio, but surface mount mods are not for the faint of heart. Someone without experience could very well end up with a nice little project case out of the whole deal.

I've done it to my iRiver IHP120. I only replaced the cap with the same BlackGate HiQ 47 uF as in the link above, and left the resistors. They are very small and I thought what difference could there be from one SMD metal film resistor to another. I use the board traces to the 3.5 mm line out.

Like in the link above, the most noticable improvement is better bass slam and definition. The BlackGates seem to color the sound, a kind of warm and golden sound. The treble is a bit grainy. All in all the sound is better and more enjoyable compared to the original tantalums.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.