I've murdered my Philips CD303!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one of the above units recently and yesterday I replaced all the electrolytics on the power supply board (the PCB quaility is rubbish).
I soldered it all together, replacing some of the broken track with wires, and after sorting out a few dry joints here and there, the machine lived, the sound was awesome!

However, when the disc was playing I 'accidentally' opened the drawer without pressing open/close.
The program lights started to fade in and out slowly -as if a cap was slowly draining, and then it died.

Now when I switch on, there are no program lights aglow and the cd transport motor just spins at a very high speed. However the power to the drawer mechanism still works great.

Is it still a power supply problem, have I missed something?
What are the correct voltages that need to be outputted from the power supply, maybe I can check this?

Hope you guys can help,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
opening the drawer 'in transit' should not do any permanent damage, but you lose the disc clamp and the servos go crazy. Usually the disc will be out of parameters quickly and the player stops.

What I have noticed on my CD202 (same technology) recently is that I have a false contact on the control panel plug.

This translates to a gradual fading of the track LED and the time clock, until they disappear completely.

What I have also noticed is that if the track LED are out before initiating play, the disc will not start.

If the LED go 'out' during play, the player will continue with the playing, but all comands (exept stop) are inoperative. This could be what is happening to yours.

Based on that I would look at the plugs/connections to the track lights and control panel, because if the lights don't work, then the control servo does not work either.

I think the drawer thing is a coincidence, or perhaps the 'shock' of the loose disc upset a connector..?

Hope this helps
Philippe

PS
these things are quite tough, so I'm sure it will be alright :xeye:

Hi,

I took the whole thing apart tonight and re-soldered the area at the front of the transport and at the push-button part too. I even checked those ribbon cables for continuity.

Still no life.

I have a hunch that this is to do with the power supply, maybe the shock of the door opening has caused something to dislodge here?
I have checked this too though and re-solderd/tested the tracks and it all looks OK.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the powersupply maybe?

Stephen

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
suddy said:
@Zen Mod: I just re-sent the email...

@poynton: Yes, that sounds good, I will have another attempt tonight to get it going and if I fail i'll probably do that, where abouts are you?

Stephen

I replied ..........

besides that - when you right click on anyone's flag , then click on "properties " - you'll see of which country flag is ..........

poynton is in foggy state ;)

The machine now lives!

My hunch about the power supply was right, there was only 0.2v on pin3 (does this supply the clock?) (should be +5v) of the powersupply, replacing that seems to have done the trick...it's been soak tested so far for a couple of hours so I reckon its going to be OK.

Thanks to all who helped with this, particularly poynton for offering the donor unit.

Thanks and Regards,
Stephen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.