Philips CD 9 Pro replace?

CDM9 pro

Well I think you are going to struggle with this transport I'm afraid.
It's very rare. Like looking for a Studer/Philips CDM3.
On a bright note however I'm sure I recall the plain CDM9 as being interchangeable with the PRO mech, so provided it's just the lazer diode that has expired you can just swap them over.

If you go to Ebay and do a search for CDM9 you should find a number of sellers of brand new mech's. Around £30-40 give or take a few escudos.

Actually as I'm not 100% certain about the interchangeability get in touch with Jean-paul, a member here.
He knows lots of definitive information about this stuff and I think he actually has a number of stashes of different transport mechanisms, aside from loads of other stuff no doubt. Ha ha....
He will know. Best of luck. Matt.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It was also used in Theta Data, a couple of the more expensive Rotels, and the PS Audio Lambda Drive.

The motor used in the 9/44 IIRC has brushes and will not interchange with the hall effect commutated motor in the pro mechanism.

I used to have a Lambda Drive and could not get the parts nor information required to repair it when it started to fail.

Be very careful buying "NIB/NOS" lasers on eBay - I paid over $100 for a 9/44 for the laser assembly that was supposedly new, and the laser was in fact worse than the original.

The control protocols used with the pro are not compatible with the latest mechanisms from Philips so that is no way out either.

Most of the mechanisms used on an OEM basis came from Daisy which has the worst customer support policy I've encountered. (They never even replied to my email request for information, but the spam I received from them for several years sort of indicated that they got that email.)

Requests for schematics will be met with silence, because unfortunately I don't have ANY at this time. I have lately been deluged with requests for schematics based on posts I made 2 1/2 yrs ago on another thread.

I dumped my PS Audio gear long ago because I could not get spare parts to maintain them. It was quite unfortunate as they performed well and sounded great, but age is the enemy of electronics and they were wearing out. (The Lambda was dead when I sold it.)

While I'm on my rant I will NEVER buy an expensive player with a Philips mechanism in it again. The mechanism was discontinued after just a couple of years and apparently Philips made no provisions for spare parts. OEM cost of these mechanisms was several hundred dollars so it is hard to understand.

The idea is to find some brushless motor in order to change one in cdm9pro. I don't think that philips was invent something special.
It usualy contains 3 hall sensors and 3-phase motor, plus Vcc and Vee that give 11 outputs
For example cdm12.5 or 12.6 have brushless motors .
They also equipped with 11way flexible cable.
I have broken rotel RCD930 and opened cdm9pro motor, so it is possible to draw out schematic from pcb, but much easier to buy schematics.

The control protocols used with the pro are not compatible with the latest mechanisms from Philips so that is no way out either.
Sorry, I didn't understand exactly what do you mean?
Will you explain me please.
Regards
Dmitry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
dtektoni said:
<snip>

Sorry, I didn't understand exactly what do you mean?
Will you explain me please.
Regards
Dmitry [/B]

The new Philips mechanisms use a different command set than the old ones did and they are not compatible so bodging a current cdm2pro into one of these older players is not feasible.

I hate to be discouraging but should you find a replacement for the motor, the laser will likely die soon after. These usually burn out before the motor and from much experience, NOS stock replacements are usually useless. They degrade just sitting on the shelf.

Really too bad. These could allow for really good sound when the rest of the product was done properly.

While second hand info: a friend who had one in a transport with a fading laser that was playing less and less of her discs, as a stopgap measure, replaced it with an Oppo for about $150 and was surprised that it made her DAC sound significantly better.

While second hand info: a friend who had one in a transport with a fading laser that was playing less and less of her discs, as a stopgap measure, replaced it with an Oppo for about $150 and was surprised that it made her DAC sound significantly better.

Interested in info on this "Oppo" you mention.. I am not farmiliar with it...

I ask because I have a theta Data that just broke the drawer gear (which sounds like I can get a part for- fingers crossed) and hate to think I will get that fixed to lose something else...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,
I read a topic reffered to the philips cdm 9 pro mechanics in the forum http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14068&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
and need contact with ohynot (because they have units for sale), anyone have the mail, I can read the link.
Others users have spare philips cdm 9 pro mechanics links or where can find one.
Thanks for your time!
Rubén
vasiltech listed this brands/models for the "pro" version with brushless motor and foil (flex) leads (no Philips/Marantz model listed):

AUDIOMECA MEPHISTO Transport CDM-9/44 / CDM-9 Pro
BARCLAY DIGITAL F1 and X-1 CD Transport CDM-9 Pro
Burmester 939, 963 and 969 CDM-9 Pro
DUSON CD100 CS4328-KP CDM-9 Pro
GOLDMUND MIMESIS 36 It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro
INKEL (Sherwood) TEMA CD-1 TDA1547 CDM-9 Pro

MERACUS IMAGO It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 / CDM-9 Pro
MICROMEGA DUO and DUO.CD2.1 It's a Transport CDM-9 Pro
MICROMEGA TRIO.3CD. It's a Transport CDM-9 Pro
MISSION-Cyrus Discmaster It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro
NAIM AUDIO CD1 TDA1541A-S1 (Single / Double Crown) CDM-4/27 / CDM-9 Pro
POLYFUSION AUDIO MODEL 920 It's a Transport CDM-9 Pro

PS AUDIO LAMBDA/LAMBDA TWO It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro
RADIANT (ver. 3) CS4328-KP CDM-9 Pro
ROTEL RCD-990 and RHCD10 2 x PCM63P – PMD100 CDM-9 Pro
SUGDEN AU51 PRO and PDT10 It's a Transport CDM-9 Pro
SUGDEN SDT-1SE (SDT-1PRO) TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-9 Pro

T+A CD2000AC MKII TDA1547 (DAC7) – SAA7350 – NPC Filter CDM-9 Pro
T+A CM3000AC It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro (CDM-9/60)
T+A CM3000R It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro (CDM-9/60)
THETA DATA BASIC II It's a Transport – SAA7310GP CDM-9 Pro
VIMAK DT-1000 It's a Transport CDM-9 Pro

I don't recommend to purchase used CD player with CDM-9pro.

12 years later...

My CDM9 Pro still works fine. I replaced the gear and belt (12 years ago), and cleaned and lubricated the carriage. Quick, quiet and works just fine.

Why would you discourage someone getting the last of the single-laser CD specific transports? After the 9, they went to dual laser, for faster seeking etc. (for computer use) but the design became watered-down at that point. It became a 'one-size fits all' transport. Many CD lovers are looking for the even earlier Philips transports...

Anyway, I do not hesitate to recommend the 9 Pro transport. It's a very solid piece that can be repaired, rather than requiring replacement. I discourage anything newer from this line however.