Sony CDP-D500 & CDP-2700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently came upon a Sony CDP-D500 and also a Sony CDP-2700. Older models, both from their pro catalog. Any opinions on either of these?

The D500 has heavy duty diecast transport parts, KSS213B optical, NPC SM5843AP1 digital processing and a PCM1702 per channel for the DACs. It has OPA604AP for I/V then OPA2604AP for I assume analog filter with NE5532P for outputs. Caps are Elna Silmic and Elna For Audio and Soshin film or mica types. Lots of voltage regulators, R core transformer, input noise filter. Output is balanced +24dBu or unbalanced +9 dBu and Headphone with volume control. Also has AES/EBU digital out on xlr and IEC-958 digital on RCA. Is that last the same as S/PDIF? Also has wordclock input. Output speed is variable +/-12.5% in case you are in a hurry or something. All in a rackmount case with lots of free room inside. Worth keeping? Any suggestions for mods? Or leave it alone?

CDP-2700 is older. Has mostly the same features except no wordclock in and IEC-958 is on two rca instead of one. Separate unbalanced output for monitors that has volume control. Digital processing is CXD1244 and DACs are AD1560, optics is KSS240A with CXA1372AQ. All of the opamps are NE5532 and caps are blue Elna. Opinions?

Thanks,
Michael

Very little info

Can't seem to find much info on either of these models. It does seem possible that the D500 is the only Sony model that used the PCM1702.

I've been giving them both a listen, the 2700 using the balanced output into an amp with balanced inputs and the D500 unbalanced out into my regular system. They both sound very good. They seem much more vivid sounding than listening to wavs off of my computer, which is mostly what I have been listening to recently.

The D500 did a very good job of playing through a known damaged disc that is unplayable on some players I've tried. And when it got stuck in one spot the jog wheel bumped it ahead 24 frames and it took right off. I finally found the rf test point and tried to give a look, but the scope I have out now was having trouble giving me a good stable trigger. I'll have to dig out another scope tomorrow and give it a look.

Still looking for info or tips.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.