Ad1862n

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm going to build a DAC built with AD1862N.

However, it seems there isn't much information about this DAC.

Some people say AD1862N-J sounds better than PCM1704U-K although the spec of the former is slightly inferior.

What about the rail voltages of AD1862N? Up to 12V is possible on this device.

And how does it compare to TDA1541A, AD1865N-K and other well regarded chips?

Anyone?

I've tested a lot of DAC's and the new generation of Delta-Sigma parts are terrific.

My AD1955 DAC is much more detailed and involving than the BB1704.

Consider buying an AD1955 eval board. It's maxed out with highend components and costs around $200-225usd. Add a +-12vdc PSU and you're all set.

There are a lot of DIYers that really like these old parts, but time and technology has moved forward. (just my opinion)

Listening to great implementations of TDA1541's, BB1704's side by side with the new parts - they just don't hold up. Plus you have the option of turning on or off certain features of the new chips to suit your taste like filtering, oversampling, etc.

Good luck,

-David

AD1862

Hi,

I did a DAC with 1862. It is not the easiest to work with. First it is a mono dac, you need two. Second, there is only one input format - 20 bit right justified, I need a logic shifter to process the data from CS 8414 before feeding to the dacs. I ended up using a lot of board space for the dacs. Third, the dac requires +/- 12 v to operate which is a bit awkward these days. The sound? Similiar to AD1853. I find it more worth while to try out the wolfson dacs that are both cheaper and have similiar specs.

Cheers,

KK

abzug said:
the ad1955 ev-kit is quite nice with ad797 opamps, but I read somewhere that they dont like to sell it for individuals :scratch2: ...

Yes partially true, but call your local Analog Devices Sales office they will help. They built quite a few that they provide to distributors and the AD sales rep will help you locate one. They lose money on every board. The thing is chocked full of only the best resistors, caps, low noise regulators, and chip.

I hosted a DAC shootout at my place a few months ago with a bunch of folks from Head-fi and the AD1955 and TI1792/4 was the hands down winner. We had highend versions of the BB1704, TDA1541, paralleled TDA1543, and cs4398 as well. Out of the 12 people here, to a person they were surprised by the results. It was a blind set of evaluations. The highly touted 1541 and 1543 were at the bottom, 1704 near the middle, cs4398, then a near tie between the 1955 and the 1792/4.

On line we get to read a lot, but not always have an opportunity like this for evaluation. BTW, the results were with Aleph30 amp, full range speakers, and headphones through mixing and matching highend commercial headphone amps with the 5 leading headphones. It took all day. Yes nasty work, but we suffered with dignity. :D

-David

dw8083 said:
I've tested a lot of DAC's and the new generation of Delta-Sigma parts are terrific.

Plus you have the option of turning on or off certain features of the new chips to suit your taste like filtering, oversampling, etc.

Oh really? How do you turn off oversampling and filtering in the AD1955 or any other delta-sigma DAC? I guess that's going to be the next DIYAudio craze: a one-bit NOS DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.