Linn Numerik upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mostly nothing to do except changing all lytic capacitors if it's about 10 years old. Regulators LM317/337 to LT317/337 and LM2940 to TL780-05. Maybe you'll have to adjust a little +15V with a blue pot. What DAC chips are in your Numerik - PCM63 or 1702?

I have the PCM63 chips, I was a little wary of changing the capacitors because I don't want to loose the Linn sound from the DAC and was under the impression that the capacitors made a huge difference to the type of sound I could expect, where as the upgraded clock and regulators would just make what is already there better. Any thoughts if that is true or not ?

Yes, for sure. That's why I changed Rubycon on just new Rubycon's RX30 type (not Black Gate's or other special for audio). In comparison new capacitors gave more tight bass but the overal Linn sound remains.
I have PCM1702 DAC chips inside but I want to try to put on PCM63 as I have them too. But I have to install some missed details on the board in this case and the onle two that I don't know nominals are capacitor C216 and resistor R204 (maybe 2K4 as on the board with 1702). If you wiil open your Numerik then make me a favour, please - let me know the nominals, O.K.?

Attachments

• numerik detls.jpg
    numerik detls.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 864
I'd love to do that for you but unfortunately all my Hifi is in storage whilst I move, it will all be out in a few weeks time when I'll get it open and take some photographs for you. I'm just putting together a list of to dos at the moment for when it all comes back out. Can I ask why you want to change the chips on what seems to be a downgrade ?

Ah, I was wondering why there was nothing about clock upgrades online. It seems that Linn keeps its service manuals out of the public domain so that might be a bit of a non starter. I'll try phoning Linn but I'm not hopeful. Perhaps the regulators and the cap change will give me what I am looking for at the moment though, I will know more when I finally get my life out of boxes. I am also thinking about taking the clock output and then trying to get it to sync up with my USB-SPDIF converter so I can get the benefits of a Karik and of itunes.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113102 seems to say that it is possible.

dobbie-t said:
I'd love to do that for you but unfortunately all my Hifi is in storage whilst I move, it will all be out in a few weeks time when I'll get it open and take some photographs for you. I'm just putting together a list of to dos at the moment for when it all comes back out. Can I ask why you want to change the chips on what seems to be a downgrade ?

Well, I read a tests of Linn Numerik in different internal integration but non of them witn PCM63P-K and Brilliant SMPS together. The Burr-Broun PCM63 is widely known as one of the best DACs and PCM1702 is the follower with slightly worse parameters. As this is the matter of taste then someone can love it sound but in "audio fields" commonly desired that 1702 is worse. So I have a possibility to compare, with your help.

dobbie-t said:
Ah, I was wondering why there was nothing about clock upgrades online. It seems that Linn keeps its service manuals out of the public domain so that might be a bit of a non starter. I'll try phoning Linn but I'm not hopeful. Perhaps the regulators and the cap change will give me what I am looking for at the moment though, I will know more when I finally get my life out of boxes. I am also thinking about taking the clock output and then trying to get it to sync up with my USB-SPDIF converter so I can get the benefits of a Karik and of itunes.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113102 seems to say that it is possible.

Eahh, I'm also tried to mail Linn, they told me that my dealer in Moskow will be more than happy to answer all my questions but for some strange reason they were not ;) . I'm understood that I'm not a Queen Mary (ocean liner with Linn all round-around) and just relaxed. Attached articles gave me thó direction to move, so while your Linn in the boxes I'll try to find out more information. Till now it look's like that sync out carries WCKO (output timing control) signal from pin 27 of digital filter DF1700. It comes out in TTL level (that we need) but amplified then with two transistors to level 10v in order most probably noise protection.

Sorry I have been very busy with work and getting my life out of boxes. I am expecting to be finished and ready to set up by the middle of December at the latest. I have been in contact with Linn but as I was expecting they haven't been forth coming. I was having a think and was wondering if some sort of half gain opamp with impedance matching (I don't know how important matching the impedance will be) would be the way to go to get the timing signal into a usb to spdif converter, there seem to be a few about which take word clock in. I'm not very knowledgable about this kind of stuff but it is just an idea.

I have one Numerik in my workshop. Someone changed original regulators LM317/337 with DIY Jung regs.

I dont like Jung with long wires as digital supply regs so I am thinking to put original regs back and after them put some local shut type regs direcly to SAA, DF and PCM power in legs/pins.

One unusual thing I discover on digital (near by BNC) inputs is that Linn use some little chokes in series with 75 ohm shunt resistors that is paralel with dig input. Those little chokes tend to activate some ringing that distords input dig signal. Some big overshooting i visible on corners of dig signal.
By removing those chokes and bypassing their place with short wires rsults in much better signal with sharper corners.

Does someone have service manual for Numerik?

I have one Numerik in my workshop. Someone changed original regulators LM317/337 with DIY Jung regs.

I dont like Jung with long wires as digital supply regs so I am thinking to put original regs back and after them put some local shut type regs direcly to SAA, DF and PCM power in legs/pins.

One unusual thing I discover on digital (near by BNC) inputs is that Linn use some little chokes in series with 75 ohm shunt resistors that is paralel with dig input. Those little chokes tend to activate some ringing that distords input dig signal. Some big overshooting i visible on corners of dig signal.
By removing those chokes and bypassing their place with short wires rsults in much better signal with sharper corners.

Does someone have service manual for Numerik?

I also need this, at least a schematic of the Numerik

Hi Guys,

I have a Linn Numerick, which is not working properly, the sound is like a distortion pedal has been plugged in between it and the amp. A limited section of the frequency is ok, but in general the sound is just distorted. Any idea what the problem is. I've sent it off for repair and been told its fine, but I've tested it out with a few units and the problem persists. Could this be caused by old caps?

Regards,

Nathan

Porta Corda Mk II - burn in questions seems to say that it is possible.

Hi Doobie,
I have a Karik III/Numerik with Brilliant SPS... Since i have a lot of Flac files at 24/96 cropped on my MacBookPro using a TC Konnekt 6 external FW audio card i want to know if it's possible to sync with USB/SPDIF converter +
and an additional sample rate converter.
Kind regards
Bernard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.