Tube-lover SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2007, 11:42 PM   #1
SamL is offline SamL  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Tube-lover SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC

This is the open discussion thread for Thomas's (Tube-lover) SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC from the group buy.
non-profit ver.3 TDA1541a DAC for limited budget diyers

The group buys originally started with ver3 DAC in May 2006. On Setp 2007 Thomas release a new DAC, SE and Full Balance. Since the original thread was mean for group buys and is full of ordering info. I kick start this new thread for technical and general discussion. It is mean for owner to share their build/mod experience and for others to have healthy discussion about this DAC. Please refer back to the group buys thread for any ordering & tracking related issue.

For those who like to have a look at the photo, price of the new SE/Full Balance DAC. Check Post #1324 to #1327 (page 53, 54 of group buys).
For owner of V2 V3 DAC who like to know how they compare to the SE, have a read at Post #1378 (page 56 of group buys).
For those who like to find out how the SE vs full balance, have a read at Post #1333 (page 54 of group buys).
For those who like to find out the transformer that Thomas sell separately, have a read at Post #1338, #1344. (page 54 of group buys) For those with 240V main, Thomas have special ordered transformer. Remember to include 240V into your order.
For those who like to read about Thomas's tube buffer. Post #1324 (page 53,), #1333 (page 54) and page 57 of group buys. Somehow the tube buffer info are everywhere and hard to find. Hope anyone who build/own one will post the details here.

Since my DAC have not arrive, I have no photo to show. I hope others who have build theirs will join this discussion and showcase their lovely DAC.

Happy DIY
Old 25th October 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Kooka is offline Kooka  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default First listening impressions

This is the DAC at work (bad pic, taken in the dark: more mistery...)

Setup:
Teac VRDS7 CD transport
Our now famous DAC
Modded (caps and tubes) Audio Experience Symphonies Plus preamp
Melos Triode 200 Plus power amp
Tannoy Eaton speakers (31 year old, now: sweet as honey)
Power, signal and speaker cables are DIY.

The first comparison is made with C.E.C. TL51XR cd player.
CD chosen for test is a Telarc Audiophile CD.
I often use the first track: "Schwand the bagpiper polka" by J. Weinberger. Very difficult track. from the beginning our DAC seems to be very comfortable with it, with a lot of detail, better than the CEC. Soundstage is deep and instruments are very, very well detachable and focused. Image is firm and precise. Very nice impression of control on the deep and "surprising" bass of this track.
At the moment I am very well impressed by the sound of our dac.
I will post some more impressions after heving heard it with some voices: I am very optimistic. Thomas, well done, by now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg0416.jpg (57.5 KB, 2494 views)
Old 25th October 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Tachyon is offline Tachyon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Until I put my kit togheter I add some pictures.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th October 2007, 05:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Old 25th October 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Old 25th October 2007, 05:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Old 25th October 2007, 07:26 PM   #7
ade.d is offline ade.d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi all,could someone tell me whats the best setting on the onboard volume on the cd63 ki for general listeninig through a denon integrated amp.or does it even matter?i dont have a manual so im guessing.cheers ade.
Old 25th October 2007, 11:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ade.d
hi all,could someone tell me whats the best setting on the onboard volume on the cd63 ki for general listeninig through a denon integrated amp.or does it even matter?i dont have a manual so im guessing.cheers ade.
I think you have posted over the wrong thread.
Try Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Old 25th October 2007, 11:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Kooka,

Can you post a close-up photo of how you wire the transformer?

Thanks
Old 26th October 2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Kooka is offline Kooka  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamL
Hi Kooka,

Can you post a close-up photo of how you wire the transformer?

Thanks
Ok, this is about the 9V transformer, and it is related to 220/240V countries (NOT for 110/120V ones!)
On the left the primaries: pins 1 and 3 (top to bottom) bridged. Pins 2 and 4 to mains.
On the right the secondaries: pins 1 and 4 to one 9V socket, pins 2 and 3 to the other socket.

Of course this is if you have my same transformer, and of course you will have to check with a multimeter, having 9V (actually you will find about 10,5/11V) on each secondary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg0430.jpg (85.4 KB, 2015 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!