Tube-lover SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the open discussion thread for Thomas's (Tube-lover) SE and Full Balance TDA1541a DAC from the group buy.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79850&perpage=25&pagenumber=53

The group buys originally started with ver3 DAC in May 2006. On Setp 2007 Thomas release a new DAC, SE and Full Balance. Since the original thread was mean for group buys and is full of ordering info. I kick start this new thread for technical and general discussion. It is mean for owner to share their build/mod experience and for others to have healthy discussion about this DAC. Please refer back to the group buys thread for any ordering & tracking related issue.

For those who like to have a look at the photo, price of the new SE/Full Balance DAC. Check Post #1324 to #1327 (page 53, 54 of group buys).
For owner of V2 V3 DAC who like to know how they compare to the SE, have a read at Post #1378 (page 56 of group buys).
For those who like to find out how the SE vs full balance, have a read at Post #1333 (page 54 of group buys).
For those who like to find out the transformer that Thomas sell separately, have a read at Post #1338, #1344. (page 54 of group buys) For those with 240V main, Thomas have special ordered transformer. Remember to include 240V into your order.
For those who like to read about Thomas's tube buffer. Post #1324 (page 53,), #1333 (page 54) and page 57 of group buys. Somehow the tube buffer info are everywhere and hard to find. Hope anyone who build/own one will post the details here.

Since my DAC have not arrive, I have no photo to show. I hope others who have build theirs will join this discussion and showcase their lovely DAC.

Happy DIY :D

First listening impressions

This is the DAC at work (bad pic, taken in the dark: more mistery...)

Setup:
Teac VRDS7 CD transport
Our now famous DAC
Modded (caps and tubes) Audio Experience Symphonies Plus preamp
Melos Triode 200 Plus power amp
Tannoy Eaton speakers (31 year old, now: sweet as honey)
Power, signal and speaker cables are DIY.

The first comparison is made with C.E.C. TL51XR cd player.
CD chosen for test is a Telarc Audiophile CD.
I often use the first track: "Schwand the bagpiper polka" by J. Weinberger. Very difficult track. from the beginning our DAC seems to be very comfortable with it, with a lot of detail, better than the CEC. Soundstage is deep and instruments are very, very well detachable and focused. Image is firm and precise. Very nice impression of control on the deep and "surprising" bass of this track.
At the moment I am very well impressed by the sound of our dac.
I will post some more impressions after heving heard it with some voices: I am very optimistic. Thomas, well done, by now!

Attachments

• cimg0416.jpg
    cimg0416.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,597
SamL said:
Hi Kooka,

Can you post a close-up photo of how you wire the transformer?

Ok, this is about the 9V transformer, and it is related to 220/240V countries (NOT for 110/120V ones!)
On the left the primaries: pins 1 and 3 (top to bottom) bridged. Pins 2 and 4 to mains.
On the right the secondaries: pins 1 and 4 to one 9V socket, pins 2 and 3 to the other socket.

Of course this is if you have my same transformer, and of course you will have to check with a multimeter, having 9V (actually you will find about 10,5/11V) on each secondary.

Attachments

• cimg0430.jpg
    cimg0430.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,089
SamL said:
Hi Kooka,

Can you post a close-up photo of how you wire the transformer?

This is about the 18V transformer, and it is related to 220/240V countries (NOT for 110/120V ones!)
On the left the primaries: pins 1 and 3 (top to bottom) bridged. Pins 2 and 4 to mains.
On the right the secondaries: pin 1 to one 16V socket, pins 2 and 3 (together!) to the 0"" socket, pin 4 to the other 16V socket.

Of course this is if you have my same transformer, and of course you will have to check with a multimeter, having 16V (actually you will find about 118/20V) between pin 1 and 2/3 and between pin 4 and 2/3.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• cimg0431.jpg
    cimg0431.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,996
I'll post pictures of the 110V transformers I have soon. They are not exactly the same as the 220V version.

The input of both should be connected in parallel to the AC:

(110V-110V)---(0V-0V)

I used a 0.5A (500mA) fast blow fuse. But I think that might be a bit high. I'll measure the input current soon for a more precise value.

The 9V transformer should have the output connected in parallel as it has two 9V secondaries:

(9V-9V)---(0V-0V) at the PCB

and the 15V should have both their 0v in the secondaries connected to the center tap input:

(15V)---(0V-0V)---(15V) at the PCB

Hope that helps.

hi all friends,

many thanks for help me post & Open new thread message in here because old thread was too many pages that new members will not easy to read.

BTW, many many thanks.

I was testing new items for diyers.

This is cyro treatment -196 degrees "rhodium platinum" RCA & pure solid copper gold plated RCA sockets & 6N copper wire for OPT for tube amp.

There will need over one days for this cyro treatment -196 degrees & back to room temp. I try two method for them that which method will better because I did them on lab with liquid nitrogen.

take a look for the RCA socket.

thx

thomas

130.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.