Deltec PDM 1.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The receiver will be OK, it's the uA 9763(?) that will be dead.

This is (I think) an RS422 receiver used to buffer the SPDIF input and located next to digital input. Just replace it, the chip is 8-pin DIL and still available, cheap.

Buy a couple of spares actually, they seem very sensitive to ground currents - plugging my PDM1.2 into a cheap DVD player with a poor SMPS is enough to kill it.

Hi,

I've seen cases where when the UA9637 is damaged by input Earth leakage currents / Static it goes S/C between its PSU rails, this also burns out a small SMD resistor in series to supply pins to the UA9637. Check for 5V supply on the UA9637.

Coincidently, the reason the 9637 is damaged by Leakage currents is the fact that the construction of the RCA plug used for SPDIF connects the centre pin first (Signal) before Ground. This results in an "110Va Leakage loop" between the sensitive 9637 input and the SPDIF source. Units with SMPS such as Computers and DVD players are the worst offenders with larger earth leakage currents. Use optical if you can... Also, another reason where BNC is superior for SPDIF - not only can it be a true 75 Ohms interface, but also always insures Ground is connected BEFORE Signal.

If you still have no luck fixing the unit, I'm based in GZ - China and can repair your unit.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.