Resistors between LCD and 8051 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2007, 01:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors between LCD and 8051

Hello,

I hope that this is the correct place for my question.

I have a schematic of a pre-amplifier in which an 8051 is controlling an LCD display. I am wondering why there is an resistor network (RN1) between the 8051 and the LCD display. The LCD display is connect by an connector (P1).
Attached Images
File Type: gif drawing1.gif (25.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 12th October 2007, 06:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Resistors between LCD and 8051

Quote:
Originally posted by MEnsing
Hello,

I hope that this is the correct place for my question.

I have a schematic of a pre-amplifier in which an 8051 is controlling an LCD display. I am wondering why there is an resistor network (RN1) between the 8051 and the LCD display. The LCD display is connect by an connector (P1).
The image isn't really clear enough to read easily, but it looks to me like these are just series protection resistors. Since no appreciable current actually appears on these control lines, a resistor (of any value, really) can be placed in series. This serves to protect the microcontroller from potential shorts or other fault conditions in the LCD panel or cabling. If such a short happened and the microcontroller tried to drive the two pins with alternate polarity, it would quickly fry itself due to the lack of current limiting. With the series resistors in place, any short to power, ground or each other shouldn't cause any damage to the microcontroller. It's just good design practice to include them, even though they're not required.

I do see that there's a VCC connection nearby that seems like it might connect to the resistor array as well, so it's possible that these are pullups. I doubt it though, that doesn't really make much sense in the application.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's really hard to see in the drawing but unless my eyes are tricking me it looks like a resistor pack with one side common going to 5V, yep...pull ups. It doesn't make sense to me unless the port pins are open collector outputs. Its been many years since I've played with the 8051 so I don't remember.
Old 12th October 2007, 09:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HawkStudio
It's really hard to see in the drawing but unless my eyes are tricking me it looks like a resistor pack with one side common going to 5V, yep...pull ups. It doesn't make sense to me unless the port pins are open collector outputs. Its been many years since I've played with the 8051 so I don't remember.
Well, I checked out an Atmel 8051, and it looks like Port 1 is open-drain, so maybe it does make sense after all.

If you have a better scan of the schematic...
Old 12th October 2007, 10:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Open drain....yep...thats it.
Old 13th October 2007, 05:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers. That helped me a lot

Regards,

Marco

Hide this!Advertise here!