Upsampling DIY DAC with AD1896

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice workmanship. You must have paid a fortune for multilayer boards with solder mask. Do you still have some for sale? I'm always game for a project.

Anyway, where did you obtain AD1896. I can't find them anywhere and Analog Devices has their availability listed as "Contact AD", which sounds suspiciously like "discontinued" to me.

-jwb

No, unfortunately I don't have any. I used some in a DAC i built for my friend, but none for me. Sniff.

I was hoping to use that part in a new DAC with the TI PCM1792, but perhaps I will simply use a CS8420 or a DIR1703 for the input receiver and reclocking circuit. I don't even have datasheets for the 1792, so everything is up for debate.

hello,

does anybody have experience with AD1895 ? It is pin to pin compatible with AD1896 but with lesser S/N ratio. According to AD website it is still in production and samples are available. I wonder if some manufacturer acquired exclusive rights to AD1896, or they stopped production because of some errata in the chip?
Look at Google for RevisionUpdatedate20021015.pdf and then click at View as HTML . Page is no longer available at arrow website, but Google has it cached as HTML.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

As you guys know, the 7 boards that Peter printed out are long gone. However, he seems to be prone to doing a re-print in a short period of time if someone is willing to do the money collection and shipping.
As you can see there is another upsampler available or the AD1895 could be used instead. Some supposed minor bugs will be fixed, too. If there is enough interest I could handle the payment and distribution in the US, someone else would have to do Europe because it wouldn't make sense to have boards cross the atlantic ocean twice.
Please send me an email if you are interested.

Here is the letter he asked me to post:

Hello,

about the AD1896: Yes, it is out of production, but has been replaced
by the AD1896A. Same device, same specs, but minor bug fix. I got two
samples from Analog on request. Just to email the right people.
And if You have problems getting the 1896A, You can use the 1895,
which is available from AD's Web site as a sample, and is pin
compatible.
Just a little lower specifications. I assume the FIR filtering uses
less
prcision.

Yes, I can do a little rework of the board, not for an different
upsample,
as written above, but to fix some minor bugs (as written in the
forum).
If someone handles the individual shipping, I could even order the
boards from
the same manufacturer than the first run. Quality was very nice.
Its only the problem that I do not have time to handle all the
shipping
and payment work/trouble.

But I would like to get feedback from some of the seven buyers
on this board, to see if there is something to improve. Not the
"ususal"
hints of some members of the forum, but real fixes and improvements.

You can post this mail on the forum, I am very limited in time this
month.

Regads,
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Unfortunately "normal" components are passé. We just have to get used to these tiny impractical bugs. DIL chips won't be produced anymore in a short time from now. Newer chips only exist in SMD form. So there really is no choice. Adapting a PCB to "normal" components makes no sense as most people will not be able to obtain "normal" components anymore. :bawling:

DIY of modern audioelectronics will be passé too if miniaturisation will continue like this. These components are meant for use with a machine that solders them, not humans. Ever tried to solder a SSOP or smaller ? Better don't drink beer the evening before :D

dac

Hi,

I'll be in the market for a dac soon. Depending on how good this one is perhaps I could help out with any orders in the uk. I'm still looking at other dac's also. What are the power requirements for this dac? Is it spdif compatible? The only thing I've got a slight concern about is that I wanted to use 12s on the cd-pro 2 transport. There aren't too many dac's around that are designed for this. I was looking for the best sound (within reason ofcourse). This does look good though.

Thanks
Raj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.