rega planet not turning on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all.I have just upgraded to a used rega planet cd player.Its being shipped as we speek.It does not power up. Any ideas on what to look for when I get it & open it up????I do not have a scamatic for it yet so talk me throu it slowly.I can do the repairs & some troubleshooting but am not an electronics tech.I am a retired controls tech from a nuclear power plant. I am selling my california audio lab tercet & yamaha cdx 900 on ebay. I am hopeing the rega has good sound. If not I gess i'll have to modify it.Ill be adding it to my marantz 2325 & bose 501s.Thanks again in advance, tom

hi,
i'd say check fuse first, if not that then the rectifier diodes (on the far left of the board towards the front they will be marked something like 1n4001 and they are black with silver strip).
i currently own two of these cd players and both were faulty when i got them, after i replaced the diodes they both worked fine.
if not that then it could be what i think are small fuses of some sort? (green) just above the rectifier diodes.

by the way im no expert:att'n:

Thanks for the reply & info.At first it was an easy find & fix. Main fuse was blown,couldn't find a .5 so used a 1 amp.Unit powered up cd was turning, panel lit up, I had this apart so I couldn't hook it up to my radio to hear it.I though what an easy fix.Then the transformer got hot, hot, hot, & started to smoke.Stupid me I should have taken secondary voltage readings. Now its dead, transformer has a nice burn spot on its side & I have not been able to locate one on the internet.If I had the secondary voltage readings I could find a generic one. Thanks for your info,going to save it for future use.Tom,south florida

Don't know for sure....

but many digital circuits use 7V. 3V often used for LEDs , etc. Analog circuits are completely different, though.

just a point to consider: when replacing fuses, always replace with the same type of equal or smaller rating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.