MY 10+ Yrs Old VRDS-10 need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear folks,

Greeting from Hong Kong.
I am happy with my 10+ years old VRDS-10 happily. An year and a half years ago, it was sent to do a overhaul and replace the pickup unit. It's expected to service another ten year. Unluckily, it happened to have a tracking problem that very hard to get the right track on the beginning of the disc and skip among tracks.

I'd like to try here to seek a service manual for VRDS CDP, best for my 10 before I send it again to the dealer. Basically, there are pots like "S. BAL, F. BAL, F, BAIS....." to adjust on the servo PCB.

Would all inputs are appeciated, if more information I am able to supply helping, feel free to raise here. Best!

mkliu said:
Dear folks,
I'd like to try here to seek a service manual for VRDS CDP, best for my 10 before I send it again to the dealer. Basically, there are pots like "S. BAL, F. BAL, F, BAIS....." to adjust on the servo PCB.

This is a very good transport CMK 3.2 and Laser KSS151A with linear sled motor.

Do not adjust anything unless you have the service manual and test gear.
I would clean all the old grease on the sled rails first, this should have been done when they replaced the laser, but maybe not, so do this first as old dried up grease will cause your symptoms, I use a castor bean grease which is non petroleum based, that is used for lubricating the rubber components on disc bake calipers on cars it is of the right fine consistency and doesn't seem to dry out, and has no effect on plastic parts. And is a blue in colour. Also very good for lubricating those plastic gears on transport mechs.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=379,378,363_3156&action=product

Cheers George

In the VRDS units the disk is pressed against the fly-wheel above. It is lifted by gears driven by a small belt. When the belt gets old, it gets soft and loses tension. The reduced tension can cause the disc not to be lifted properly against the flywheel. When that happens, the disc can slip and cause playback to halt of stutter. You may be able to hear the flywheel "ringing" mechanically when the disc slips.

There is another small belt (same size) that drives the drawer mechansim. It suffers the same fate. The two belts should be replaced at the same time for it is sure if one is going the other is soon to follow.

I_F

Re: Re: MY 10+ Yrs Old VRDS-10 need help!

georgehifi said:

This is a very good transport CMK 3.2 and Laser KSS151A with linear sled motor.

Do not adjust anything unless you have the service manual and test gear.
I would clean all the old grease on the sled rails first, this should have been done when they replaced the laser, but maybe not, so do this first as old dried up grease will cause your symptoms, I use a castor bean grease which is non petroleum based, that is used for lubricating the rubber components on disc bake calipers on cars it is of the right fine consistency and doesn't seem to dry out, and has no effect on plastic parts. And is a blue in colour. Also very good for lubricating those plastic gears on transport mechs.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=379,378,363_3156&action=product

Cheers George

Hello folks,

I check the machanics of the transport, clean, lub, tighten everything, but the skipping still exist.

Luckily, a good mate in the forum email a service manual. It works again after step by step service. after that, I did installed a TXCO clock unit replacing the original one. it shock me right the way, I am very happy with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.