Sound Card suggestion ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2003, 02:15 PM   #1
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Default Sound Card suggestion !

Anyone know a cheap sound-card, for playing MP3.. etc.. through an Passlab line-stage, and a poweramp ? I just want to have nice sounding music.

I was thinking of an sound-card with digital out, so I could upgrade in the future with an external DAC, but for now, I will just use the anolog out.

I would really apprciate if someone know a card, which will not give me too much "THUMB's" and "Klicks"....

I have something like Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1 bulk, which have digital in/out, but how do it sound on the analogue out ???
Old 10th February 2003, 10:36 PM   #2
DRC is offline DRC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Soundblaster 5.1 digital

I would not recommend the soundblaster
5.1 digital for anything serious, even with
an external DAC for the following reasons :-

[1] it only operates at fixed 48k/16 and will
up-sample digital data from your CDROM.
This sounds real bad ...

[2] I also have some issues with the SPDIF
output from this card - I have 2 DACs that
work well at 48k from DVDs but neither will
work compleatly reliably with the SB live
(and this is after I had the original card
replaced - that one was even worse).

[3] The SPDIF output is on a 4 pole 3.5mm
jack. Have your magnifying glass handy
when you solder up the leads ...

Still good value for money ?
Dave
Old 10th February 2003, 10:45 PM   #3
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
I agree with DRC and in fact any creative sound card is not a good choice if you want good sound quality.

You should try to find some small 24bit/96khz sound card. I've extensivly used a m-audio(I d'ont have one but made quit alot of recording on one) audiophile 2496. Sound quality is excellent and a great difference can be heard between this card and standard one.
Old 10th February 2003, 11:00 PM   #4
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you want good sound for little money, you can use Philips Rhythmic Edge, which has digital out and 4.0 surround.

If you want the best sound from your computer, go for TerraTec AudioSystem EWX 24/96. It is the best for using digital out, because the signal is passed almost directly through (no upsampling, which the Philips sadly does do).
Old 11th February 2003, 06:58 AM   #5
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

The brand new M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is the way to go, no question! A beautiful card from a company known for very high quality sound cards. 7.1 channels for Dolby Digital ES etc, and it's 24/192. Not only is the hardware top-notch, the software is as well... it's all put together by a company accustomed to doing things to professional recording standards. Low-latency drivers and no re-sampling funny-business should be standard for all sound cards, but are actually very difficult to find. Features like this are what put the M-Audio stuff that extra notch higher.

I guarantee this will blow away any Creative labs stuff like the over-hyped Audigy etc... Check it out - very affordable, too, at around $110!

Unless you need some serious professional features, you'll be very hard pressed to find a better card than this.
Old 11th February 2003, 07:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Sound Card suggestion !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lykkedk
[B]Anyone know a cheap sound-card, for playing MP3.. etc.. through an Passlab line-stage, and a poweramp ? I just want to have nice sounding music.

I was thinking of an sound-card with digital out, so I could upgrade in the future with an external DAC, but for now, I will just use the anolog out.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Depends what you mean by cheap. They are all cheap compared to a Pass Preamp. Buy the most expensive one you can afford with decent analogue and digital chips, not lower end CS and AKM chips. Don't believe the computer based reviews either.

If you want good sound and are not interested in surround, buy a 'music ' card such as the Terratec EWX 2496 with decent phono connectors.

Don't buy Creative; even the Audigy 2 does not perform for hifi music, pollutes your computer with at least 100Mb of software, has the worst spdif output waveform I have ever seen and the inputs overload at above 60% adjustment.
Old 23rd May 2004, 02:58 PM   #7
Slash is offline Slash  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

What soundcard sounds better, M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or Terratec EWX 2496?

I'm going to upgrade my SB Live 4.1 since the highs are pretty dirty :-(. The audiosystem I have now is speakers Aegis Evo 3 ($650) and almost completed Zen Penultimate +BOSOZ.

Also interesting if we can compare the sound quality of Terratec vs sound quality of $500-$700 CD players... May be I just need to collect some money and buy CD player?

And sorry for my english :-)
Old 23rd May 2004, 04:24 PM   #8
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Default Satisfied with my Revo. 7.1

I donno if the terratec, sound's better or, not, but i'am very pleased with my revolution 7.1. Sounds nice.
Old 26th May 2004, 06:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'd vote for Egosys Juli@ even though haven't used it. The specs are so good and price about right.

Juli@ - High quality 24bit 192kHz stereo Audio/MIDI interface with swappable I/O socket

Another as good card is the E-mu 1212m:

E-mu1212m pages

It's got ADAT i/o port so it can be expanded for multi-channel use easily.

Prices are 158 Ä for Juli@ an 211 Ä for 1212m (www.thomann.de in Europe/Germany).
Old 26th May 2004, 09:21 AM   #10
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

How good is the revolution 7.1 compared to the "prefessional" cards made by M-audio?

Hide this!Advertise here!