Sony pickup KSS-210A turntable motor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just laid my hands on a Kenwood player that will load a disc but not spin it. When I power it up with the disk loaded, the sledge will move by half a mm towards the center switch but the turntable motor does not make any sound at all. When I move the sledge with a battery and power up, it will return to center, and again, the turntable motor stays quiet.

When I try to spin the turntable motor with a 9V battery (and the cable disconnected), it will turn at several 100 rpm, making not too happy a sound.

I have several Sony pickup units from which I could salvage the motor, but I wonder whether it is worth the effort. Why does the motor not even start doing anything? Is it likely that the driver is gone, too? What would have caused this condition in the first place?

Regards,

Eric

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What is the type nr. of the player?

1)When you insert a disk, make shure the deck is completely in the "up" position. If not, problem could be the belt.

2) Listen to the tray motor when you insert the disk. If the motor keeps turning for a few more seconds after the tray is closed, it could be the microswitch underneath the deck.

2) Look at the lens. When no disk is inserted and you close the tray, the lens should go up and down about 3 times.

Be carefull with applying 9V to the motors, could damage IC's.:bigeyes:

/Hugo :)

Hugo, just to console you, I did pull the connector before applying the 9V.

The tray closes and everything goes quiet. I cannot see whether the lens moves up and down because in this case there is way too much plastic around. But I will follow Elso's advice and check the focus ok signal.

I am pretty convinced though that the turntable motor should not be making this kind of noise. My hope is that the motor and the laser would not have died simultaneously.

Regards,

Eric

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Eric

There are 3 motors in a cd player. Of course you know that, but just not to get confused, we have the spindle motor witch makes the disk turn. There is the sled motor witch move the laser unit and the tray open-close motor.

When the tray closes, first thing that happens is the sled motor moving the laser-unit towards the inner place of the disk.
Second, the lens will move up and down to focus on the disk and even with no disk, you sometimes are able to look if the lens
emits the red laser light.
If the lens can find the disk, the spindle motor starts turning.

/Hugo - Whose girlfriend made lovely food and has to go and taste it and wrote this too fast so didn't check for errors ;) ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.