Best CD drive mechanism

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Hyldal,
An easy answer to that.

The one that has the least digital errors. You can look at the eye pattern and the one with the most stable eye pattern with the cleanest traces is the best drive. The information coming off a CD is an analog rf signal. No ifs, ands or buts.

-Chris

Hyldal said:
Does anybody know whitch CD drive mechanism is the best. Is there any meassurements anywere on whitch drive reads most corectly the data on the CD?

What characterize a high class drive?

I have had the opportunity to hear a lot of different transports with the XO clocks I install, and the ones that consistently shine listening wise, are the Teac VRDS ones, always sound more vibrant yet with good body to the lower mids good extention and excellent bass control, mind you all this is magnified once a good clock is installed again.

Cheers George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
Start by preselecting based on eye pattern. Then apply the tricks.

To be honest, nothing helps a transport that can't recover a clean signal. If you start with good data, then it's worth improving the rest of the flow.

The thing is, a clock will not help the transport. It's mechanical and no way will it respond to even gross jitter in your clock. Picture a freight train rolling slowly while a conductor runs back and forth waving his watch. The train is too heavy to respond to anything that conductor does - even if he throws himself under the wheels. Your CD transport will only respond to average trends. Long averages.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi George,
Start by preselecting based on eye pattern. Then apply the tricks.

To be honest, nothing helps a transport that can't recover a clean signal. If you start with good data, then it's worth improving the rest of the flow.

The thing is, a clock will not help the transport. It's mechanical and no way will it respond to even gross jitter in your clock. Picture a freight train rolling slowly while a conductor runs back and forth waving his watch. The train is too heavy to respond to anything that conductor does - even if he throws himself under the wheels. Your CD transport will only respond to average trends. Long averages.

-Chris

Then the Teacs must have the best eye pattern, as they sound the best to me and others, I have looked at the eye patterns but never had the chance to directly compared them, and they are very clean on my 400meg Tek, but on my frequency counter I notice that standard clocks all vary a little up and down, once the Tent clock and supply are installed the frequency is rock steady (frozen)

Transports in every case have been improved with the Tent XO3 and their XO Supplies, all my customers have said that the sound becomes bigger and more relaxed, yet with big dynamics and not fired out thin dynamics, which is the way I describe it also.
It's like listening to a good A/B amp then turning up the bias on the same amp so it runs in more Class A, (with good cooling and keeping everything still in spec. especially the transformers) The sound becomes bigger smoother more transparent, less squeezed out dynamics, and more washed over you from ceiling to floor, this sort of sound can be listened to for hours, the other only a couple of tracks then your ready for a break.

Cheers George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
The clock is not affecting the transport in any way. It's a fact. It's the rest of the electronics that you are playing with.

Also, I didn't mean to imply the Teac transports were bad - they aren't. Sony heads normally.

It's like listening to a good A/B amp then turning up the bias on the same amp so it runs in more Class A, (with good cooling and keeping everything still in spec. especially the transformers)
I can demonstrate that higher bias than necessary increases THD. I plan to demo that at Burning Amp. Believe it.

-Chris

CD drive mechanism that really impressed me recently is the one pictured below. It can be bought for $15, yet implemented in a CDP it rivals CEC TL0 and ML31.5 (in certain ways).

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 4,316
anatech said:
Hi George,
The clock is not affecting the transport in any way.
-Chris

It may not affect the transport mechanism in any way, but it does affect the VRDS-T1 Transport as a whole unit.

A year and a half ago I had purchased 4 x Teac Transports VRDS-T1 "NOS" from Teac Australia all demo show units that were used at the launch of that model, they were boxed up and forgotten about in a corner of Teac's warehouse until the service manager sold them to me.
All sounded identical. Then one was given a Tent clock system. Customers were given A/B's, the option of standard or Tent clocked when I resold them, all the customers paid the extra to have the Tent installed after hearing the difference. The price difference went from $1000aud standard to $1590aud clocked. I doubt very much that they heard no improvement.

Cheers George

Peter Daniel said:
CD drive mechanism that really impressed me recently is the one pictured below. It can be bought for $15, yet implemented in a CDP it rivals CEC TL0 and ML31.5 (in certain ways).

What's that model Peter?

IME mechanism is only part of the equation, how it is implemented in a solid chasis with proper vibration transfer makes another important part.

hi anatech,

I remember a few people (one could have been Julian Vereker from Naim) talking about the laser signal being an rf signal and presumably attaching some significance to it.

I also think at least one manufacturer used a buffer amp right next to the laser head.

Maybe it makes no difference at all but I would like to try this out. Any tips on a suitable design or on the characteristics of the rf signal?

Thanks, SP

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hyldal has certainly started something with this thread.Yes some optical units do have the the R.F. preamp integral with the pickup, the good old Philips CDM 12.4 (one of my favourites) is one.When you look at the R.F. or "eye pattern" on a 'scope it is crucial to make sure that the correct ground is used or it can appear that the signal is noisy when in fact it is O.K. Another problem that never seems to get a mention is how true the turntable sits on the motor shaft. If the R.F. appears to gently bounce up & down this is worth checking.Try a track near outer edge of disc for this, also if you can actually see lens bobbing up and down while playing this confirms it.A worn bearing on the t/table motor can effect signal quality. The CDM12/4 had a very sophisticated mechanism directly under the t/table to overcome this l.o.l. but it does work.

hehe31 said:
it's look like the SF-P101N 15 pin version

Yes, indeed. And this is what's inside Shigaraki and Flatfish.
Last weekend I was doing some comparisons, and those two players sounded surprisingly good. (Shigaraki actually sounded better with a custom PS that I've built than with a stock supply that Flatfish uses)

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,010