MP3 player distortion measurement [shocking!] - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Limhes is offline Limhes  Orkney Islands
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down MP3 player distortion measurement [shocking!]

Few weeks ago I bought my first MP3 player, just to have some music on the road (bike, train). It sounds awful. Really bloody cracky and everything you could ever imagine. So, I thought my ears were too sensitive or something, and started measuring.

So, just made a quick frequency response of my MP3 player versus a cable between sound card in- and outputs:

Soundcard:
Click the image to open in full size.

MP3 player:
Click the image to open in full size.

I didn't know it could be this awful and I am scared of even approaching a reasonable guess for its THD...

So, my question:
What do these guys put in a device like this to make it this horrible???
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: MP3 player distortion measurement [shocking!]

Quote:
Originally posted by Limhes
So, my question:
What do these guys put in a device like this to make it this horrible???
Psychoacoustic lossey compression is a nonlinear process - the “distortion” results are readily understood as expected from the details of the compression algorithms

By exploiting a variety of masking phenomena, nonlinear loudness perception and "spending" bits only to encode what features make a difference in what people hear better audio compression schemes can "toss out" >75% of the data in a 16/44.1 CD with a vanishingly small number of people able pick to out the difference in blind testing

see the tech papers section of
http://www.mp3-tech.org/
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Limhes is offline Limhes  Orkney Islands
diyAudio Member

I understand, but aren't you talking about MP3 (or lossy) compression in general? I know how these work, generally, involving acoustic masking.

I used an MP3 file (the same!) in both cases. The distortion figures are from my portable MP3 player only! Now, this player just takes the files I give it and plays them, but why would they ever distort these files even more? You think it's a loudness algorithm inside the device?
Old 2nd October 2007, 04:12 PM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I suspect some automated tests could look bad based on a mls/noise or multisine test where the compression algorithm is busy exploiting psychoacoustics to remove "unhearable" features from the test signal

A slow single sine sweep passed through the mp3 encode/decode chain should give a flat frequency response, likewise single tone test sine should show no added harmonics - within the arithmetic resolution limits

your second plot shows classic square wave harmonic structure - as a guess you may be severely mismatching levels and clipping badly

I'd expect few portable mp3 players would saturate a typical soundcard line in - check to see if you're not accidentally configured for mic in or just reduce the test tone level to see if you get an abrupt improvement as you quit clipping
Old 2nd October 2007, 06:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i'm having a hell of a time with compressed Morse Code. it has all sorts of ringing.
Old 2nd October 2007, 06:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Notagenius
i'm having a hell of a time with compressed Morse Code. it has all sorts of ringing.
Is the ringing due to a narrow band CW filter or due to the mp3 encoding process?

I_F
Old 2nd October 2007, 08:24 PM   #7
hehe31 is offline hehe31  France
diyAudio Member

How do you make this test? (which soft to generate the test wave file and to see the result)
i'll try with my Sony "Walkman" phone
Old 2nd October 2007, 08:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

sorry for threadjacking.

I_F,

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/morse.html

the mp3s were played back on xmms on linux. i'm going to try some other players tonite. tnx.
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Notagenius
sorry for threadjacking.

I_F,

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/morse.html

the mp3s were played back on xmms on linux. i'm going to try some other players tonite. tnx.
It sounds crisp here, no ringing at all.

I_F
Old 3rd October 2007, 06:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think what you see in the 'distorted' freq response is the MP3 encode/decode process at work. Only spend bits where it counts, and leave out what would be masked anyway. Naturally this looks non-linear. If you use another sound file, it should look completely different.

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!