sony's first ever cd player cdp 101 on ebay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2007, 05:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sony's first ever cd player cdp 101 on ebay

hi i have seen this on ebay i had one in the past and they are really damn good it was better than my cd marantz cd 63 ki sig cd player at the time i was thinking of buying this one on ebay does any one own one and know of any tweaks
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE:IT&ih=019
Old 28th September 2007, 05:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Really? The last time I hard one ages ago, I was shocked at how awful it sounded.
Old 28th September 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Thankfully cd technology has come a long way since this player was launched. I remember listening to one of these when they were new - it was dreadful then and I doubt that age has improved it. Sure, it's pretty and the build quality is top notch but £100 is a lot of money to pay for a piece of nostalgia.
Old 28th September 2007, 06:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinab2
... but £100 is a lot of money to pay for a piece of nostalgia.

Tell that to Wayne Gretsky who not far back paid about $ 1.3 Million US for an old baseball card. When you get that nostalgic I think maybe you gotta go see a shrink.
Old 28th September 2007, 06:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi thank you for your comments but when i heard it it sounded very good check out what folk say in this review http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/95/sony...isc-player.htm
Old 28th September 2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Wonderful build quality (1st generation stuff always is), but hopelesly outclassed by even the cheapest players today.Servo output I/C's troublesome, originally STK6922 replaced by BX1201.Shared D/A convertor killed sound quality and led to image shift.Left/right gains were slightly different to try to compensate for this effect.Still a great player though, I had many ,many happy hours listening.Good luck bidding.
Old 28th September 2007, 07:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
I had one of these when it first came out, with I think the only decent rock cd at the time the first Dire Straights CD.
This machine was as hard as nails, nothing could help it, the eye pattern was shocking I remember, the only thing that sounded worse, was finger nails down a blackboard.
I sold 800 LP's a Linn with FR64s arm and a Garrott tipped Supex SD900 for this, boy did I nearly go out and neck myself after that.
Then came the 14bit Marantz, the model? the one that opened out like a hamburger wanting a piece of meat, I mean cd, with a gazillion green leads on the right, now finally I could hear some promise, although a long way away.

Cheers George
Old 28th September 2007, 04:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

lol
i see your point
Old 28th September 2007, 05:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgehifi
I sold 800 LP's a Linn with FR64s arm and a Garrott tipped Supex SD900 for this, boy did I nearly go out and neck myself after that.
Foolish boy. CD came out here in May 83 (I remember as I left Uni for the day to hear it) but it took me until about 90 to buy a CDP.

Manly is much better without the tourists. But Curly is even better.
Old 28th September 2007, 06:59 PM   #10
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

This site is fantastic for the 101

http://www.adrian-kingston.com/CDP-101.htm

Once you have digested how to fix the common problems, I'd heartily suggest reading the whole site, which covers other important subjects such as the Quad ESL63's and where you can buy a second hand Jag or get proper fish & chips in Virginia.

I've not heard the Sony, but if you want a piece of history I'd look at the early Philips machines. Comparable build quality, and I suspect better sound (TDA1540 DAC)

Hide this!Advertise here!