sony's first ever cd player cdp 101 on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thankfully cd technology has come a long way since this player was launched. I remember listening to one of these when they were new - it was dreadful then and I doubt that age has improved it. Sure, it's pretty and the build quality is top notch but £100 is a lot of money to pay for a piece of nostalgia.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wonderful build quality (1st generation stuff always is), but hopelesly outclassed by even the cheapest players today.Servo output I/C's troublesome, originally STK6922 replaced by BX1201.Shared D/A convertor killed sound quality and led to image shift.Left/right gains were slightly different to try to compensate for this effect.Still a great player though, I had many ,many happy hours listening.Good luck bidding.

I had one of these when it first came out, with I think the only decent rock cd at the time the first Dire Straights CD.
This machine was as hard as nails, nothing could help it, the eye pattern was shocking I remember, the only thing that sounded worse, was finger nails down a blackboard.
I sold 800 LP's a Linn with FR64s arm and a Garrott tipped Supex SD900 for this, boy did I nearly go out and neck myself after that.
Then came the 14bit Marantz, the model? the one that opened out like a hamburger wanting a piece of meat, I mean cd, with a gazillion green leads on the right, now finally I could hear some promise, although a long way away.

Cheers George

georgehifi said:
I sold 800 LP's a Linn with FR64s arm and a Garrott tipped Supex SD900 for this, boy did I nearly go out and neck myself after that.
Foolish boy. CD came out here in May 83 (I remember as I left Uni for the day to hear it) but it took me until about 90 to buy a CDP.

Manly is much better without the tourists. But Curly is even better.

This site is fantastic for the 101

http://www.adrian-kingston.com/CDP-101.htm

Once you have digested how to fix the common problems, I'd heartily suggest reading the whole site, which covers other important subjects such as the Quad ESL63's and where you can buy a second hand Jag or get proper fish & chips in Virginia.

I've not heard the Sony, but if you want a piece of history I'd look at the early Philips machines. Comparable build quality, and I suspect better sound (TDA1540 DAC)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jives11,
Comparable build quality, and I suspect better sound (TDA1540 DAC)
Funny you should mention those D/A converters. The Nakamichi OMS-5/7 used those, followed by a really good filter section. This machine sounded the most natural at the time. The Sony units had a a 7.35 KHz adjustment I think (why??) and sounded hard as heck. The early Technics machines sounded brutal also.

I wouldn't touch an early Sony. Too much heartache. Even the grease became solid on these.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi jives11,

Funny you should mention those D/A converters. The Nakamichi OMS-5/7 used those, followed by a really good filter section. This machine sounded the most natural at the time. The Sony units had a a 7.35 KHz adjustment I think (why??) and sounded hard as heck. The early Technics machines sounded brutal also.

I wouldn't touch an early Sony. Too much heartache. Even the grease became solid on these.

-Chris

Well I have a CD104 which I have had since 1986 (off & on - my parents had it for some of the time in between). It has the then classic, CDM 0 transport + 2 * TDA1540, 7000,70010,70020,70030 chipset. A pair of NE5532's do the final I/V and output buffering. It weights 7 Kg (approx 15Lb) and has very little plastic. All metal and a drawer that closes with a "ker-klunk".

The top end can sound a bit hard, especially on female vocals but the bass and midrange seem pretty good to me . I just adjust the slope on the Quad preamp and all is well.

I'd be interested to know how much of this is common to the Nakamichi - some other vendors rebadged the Philips or made some small output changes (Marantz, Mission, Meridian, Grundig, B&O) but I suspect the Nakamichi was a different implementation - they were very thorough.

anatech said:
The Sony units had a a 7.35 KHz adjustment I think (why??) and sounded hard as heck. The early Technics machines sounded brutal also.

IMHO it is because of the hybrid brickwall filters that use ceramic filter caps.

I tried them in my non os DAC, sounds artificial. Unusable.

But the mentioned players are non os which is a plus

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jives11,
I'd be interested to know how much of this is common to the Nakamichi - some other vendors rebadged the Philips or made some small output changes (Marantz, Mission, Meridian, Grundig, B&O) but I suspect the Nakamichi was a different implementation - they were very thorough.
Yes. Only the chip set was used. The servo board was a Nakamichi design, NEC made the transport and head. It's the best I have ever seen in any CD player. That's why I bought this one. I worked on they under warranty and it was an older model when I got it.

Hi Bernhard,
IMHO it is because of the hybrid brickwall filters that use ceramic filter caps.
It was the 7.35 KHz adjustment I couldn't see the reason for. Mitsubichi did the same thing as well as others. Yes, some of those analog filters were terrible.
One area where Nakamichi excelled was analog stuff. Wonderful filter and the top end was smooth in this one. I still use it in my bedroom.

-Chris

Mooly said:
Wonderful build quality (1st generation stuff always is), but hopelesly outclassed by even the cheapest players today.Servo output I/C's troublesome, originally STK6922 replaced by BX1201.Shared D/A convertor killed sound quality and led to image shift.Left/right gains were slightly different to try to compensate for this effect.Still a great player though, I had many ,many happy hours listening.Good luck bidding.

Mooly,
Where could I buy this servo IC BX1201 for my CDP-101?
Your helps is very much appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, just picked this thread up by chance... not notified for some reason. The bad news is the IC's are long since obsolete, not seen any advertised for ages. They usually fail intermitent playing up with heat. Take it you have a suspect one ?

Mooly said:
Hi, just picked this thread up by chance... not notified for some reason. The bad news is the IC's are long since obsolete, not seen any advertised for ages. They usually fail intermitent playing up with heat. Take it you have a suspect one ?

I have a CDP-101 myself and it has the problem with the STK6922 going funky after a while of playing. I tried for a long while to research finding the STK6922 Chip.. One site I tried ordering from, after paying for it and bugging them a month later asking where my product was, they said they didn't have any.. I hate when sites do that, they don't bother to take down old products. Anyways, I just found this one:

http://www.lamesatvsupply.com/stk6922.html and it says they have them In Stock

Does anyone know if this is the legit replacement IC chip for my Sony CDP-101 ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.