Marantz CD63 vs Audiolab 8000CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz CD63 MkII KI Sig which after many years of faultless service has sstarted skipping. I understand it is a common fault. If it cannot be fixed, I am wondering whether to look for another one on eBay or to go for an Audiolab 8000CD. I have an Audiolab 8000 amp but not sure how the two CD players compare. Any advice/opinions please?

Thanks

Andy

jazzdude said:
I have a Marantz CD63 MkII KI Sig which after many years of faultless service has sstarted skipping. I understand it is a common fault. If it cannot be fixed, I am wondering whether to look for another one on eBay or to go for an Audiolab 8000CD. I have an Audiolab 8000 amp but not sure how the two CD players compare. Any advice/opinions please?

Thanks

Andy

You can buy the laser mechanism sub-assembly (or rather it's new equivalent the VAM1202) for about £20.

Depends how handy you are with a soldering iron!

This shows you what to do. It's a CD46, but they use the same mechanism so the procedure is almost the same.

He he...

Reminds me of the time I fixed my friend's Musical Fidelity amp.
He wasn't expecting it to be repairable (don't know why) but asked me to have a look anyway. He'd been busily thumbing through all the hifi rags.

He looked quite disappointed when I handed it back working perfectly!

The 63KI still fetches a good price on eBay by the way. The extra you'd get from selling one with a brand-new laser would outweigh what it cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.