Trying to repair an old Onkyo DX-1500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all
One of my friends gave me (for free....) an Onkyo DX-1500, a 18 years old cd player. This beast doesn't play cds any more. :cd::smash:
When it loads a cd, the lens of the laser laser pickup (KSS 152A) goes up and down a couple of time, then the laser turn off and cd player seems to go into "locked" or "no cd" state.
During this time, cd doesn't run (spindle motor is off). Sometimes cd starts to move for only a few degrees of rotation, then stop immediately and cd player goes into "locked" or "no cd" state.
It seems to be a common fault on old Onkyo cd player :bawling: , as you can find in other threads in diyAudio forum. This time, unluckly, I have no solution to the problem, so I'll try to explain what I have done:

1st step
-cleaned: laser lens
-results: nothing

2nd step
-verified: spindle motor (run normally in clockwise and anticlockwise direction, absorbing something like 0.7A max @ 5V, with cd inserted)
-changed with a new one: spindle motor driver, LA6500 (op-amp 1A, 30V) labelled Q108.

3th step
-added: 1nF capacitor (between positive and negative) on the spindle motor.

4th step
-added: 100nF capacitor on the spindle motor.

5th step
-verified: light emission of laser :bulb:
-tried: slightly trimmed the laser current for obtain a slightly more power
-results: nothing; re-trimmed laser current to original value...

note:
-I have no schematic, anyone has it? for free? thanks!
-spindle motor driver (LA6500) has no heat-sink and get warm (at idle too). Supply voltage between Vcc and Vee is 28-29V, near the maximum ratings (from Sanyo datasheet).
- the LA6500 seems to be directly controlled by a smd CXA1082A (sony), anybody know if it is a faulty device?
-voltage regulator 78M05, labelled Q901, has a small heat-sink and become very hot :hot: (burned fingers, do you know?). Changed with a more robust 7805CV, with a larger heat-sink, with no results.
- (SK) STA341M, labelled Q107, become also very hot, but what is it? Black module with 8 in-line pins, no heat-sink...

And so, someone could give me an idea of what is happening inside this cd player? What's is wrong?
This is my real last attempt, before getting it away... :cannotbe:
Could you help me to save this piece of history from the dump?

BAD spindle motor

Yes, I'm back

and yes, this little spindle motor IS the problem...:smash:

I have desoldered it, took apart, opened :eek:, cleaned the contacts and brushes, cleaned dirt and re-oiled bushes, re-closed, tested for half an hour, and re-mounted...

No more skipping tracks, cds sound perfectly.

I have some photos, but no time to post it... maybe tomorrow...
:devilr:

I seem to have analog problems in my DX-1500 (18 years old).
It has problems in the synchronisation, so i will try do demount the motor: clean it, verify the collector and brushes, clean them and eventually pass the collector lamels using a ligth abrasive paper.
Then lubrify using a non corrosive lubrifiant. I hope it will work, otherwise I will look for a non Onkyo (my vendor does not follow it anymore) Cd-player. Can I connect it? How control it?
A pity because my stereopower-amply and tape is also Onkyo and controled by one remote control. I hope not to end using an other remote control, I have already one for TV, one for DVD-recorder/player using Scart coupling to the TV.

All hints and Tips welcome, Guido

Onkyo DX1500 repair

I opened today becauce it now even stopped rotating.
Suspected the motor unsoldered it and aplied DC to test it.
It turns perfectly, so it must be electric; I have no schematics so it looks to be the end of it, ready for the junkbox.

Now I play my audio-cds on the dvdplayer that is connected to the TV. A pitty no cd's anymore on the stereoinstallation.

I ordered before the repair manual (19.5$), so I have to wait.
Has anybody hints because all screws look different (parkerscrews)
I prefer not to force them in the wrong holes.

I start to search for a new one. That will be an other remote controller more. I end up having 4 controllers:
1. TV
2. DVD rdr/wtr from my son connected to the TV
3. Videorecorder
4. Stereo-installation having a cassetterecorder

That ends the Onkyo-storry.

I know this is an old thread, but I have one of these (an Onkyo DX-1500) that I'm resurrecting.

It mostly works, but when it's cold, it won't play properly (it skips, gets stuck, etc.). It seems like the laser pickup is sticking, but maybe the laser itself is dying?

However, I just gave it a whack on the side and it suddenly began to play flawlessly. What could cause this? Do I need to lubricate the slide rails for the laser pickup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

c

Trying to fix a defective, quarter century old, CD player is funny. There are so much parts involved that it becomes difficult to understand the problem(s).
In Onkyo DX series, start checking the transport:
-clean slide rails, then relube with the smaller amount of thin oil you can apply
-clean laser lens
-if you have the tools and sm, check laser beam alignment
-check the spindle motor (see previous post)
-check all the mechanical parts (rods, screws, bushes, etc). Clean and relube if necessary
-check the contacts in all electrical connections

OK. I'm getting in a replacement disk tray belt, so I'll look everything over when I install it.

The spindle motor is supposed to spin freely when off, right? I remember spinning it when I had it apart recently (to check the belt mentioned above), and it seemed a little stiff (it spins, but perhaps there's a bit more resistance than there should be). Regardless if that's normal, it makes sense to lubricate it so it doesn't seize up completely.

I believe the laser alignment is okay, but I don't have any tools to test or adjust it. The most I can do is adjust the output power (tweaking it upward a bit allowed it to track somewhat better, so maybe that's a clue that suggests a weak laser?).

I know it's funny, but this thing has been around as long as I can remember, and I have many fond memories of it.

And besides, I really like the late 80's styling. Especially the VFD :)

c

i've had 3 onkyo machines (still have 2).
you've gotten some good advice here.
i've read (and experienced) that in my machines, the spindle motors are the part that wears out the fastest - the brushes physically wear away.
i've never had a laser wear out on any of the 3 machines; i've had them for years and have used them heavily. (i thought the laser in my DX-5700 wore out but some years later after learning more about troubleshooting and servicing CD players, i realize the ribbon cable connecting to the laser optical block was damaged :( live and learn )
replacing the spindle motor got rid of all of the misc skipping issues i've had.

good luck,
mlloyd1

Yes, if the spindle motor spins, but seems "strange", then it's probably worn enough to be defective in such application.
More power on laser may be a red herring in this case (supposing a normal use of CD player), and will shorten laser's lifetime a lot. My 2 cents: adjust it to original setting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.