Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 11:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

The transfo I used are perfectly stable, really overspec for the application. I measured very low supply currents on all supply sections (typically <40 ma, most of the time a lot less). The transfo I used are rated 0.8 and 1.0A per secondary, plenty of current available. All DAC supplies are perfectly stables. I got 7.9Vac and 19.5Vac respectively at the DAC inputs

The final version 2.0 is using:

8Vac: 110-220V Prim, Dual 8Vac, 0.5A each, 6VA, Digikey MT2103-ND
16Vac: 110-220V Prim, Dual 14Vac, 0.42A each, 12VA, Digikey MT2120-ND

The first version was using for the 8Vac, the MT2107-ND, Dual 8Vac, 0.4A each, 6VA that was producing about 10Vac. It was working just fine with all the supplies connected to the 8Vac input connectors. The final version gives a nice 7.9Vac which is closer to the needed value.

Take note that the PCB ver 2.0 has the supplementary 8Vac output, for a total of 6 X 8Vac outputs to support the upcoming new AYA DAC version (Pedja suggestion).

Here picture of the ver 2.0 PCB assembled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transfo pcb_ver2_small.jpg (98.9 KB, 642 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 03:15 PM   #22
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Algar_emi,
I haven't started to assemble my AYA dac ver. 2 yet. I don't see any info on the site about a ver. 3. I am wondering if I should wait. Can't I use the parts purchased for the ver. 2 in the ver. 3?
Old 19th October 2007, 03:52 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed. Pedja asked me to add a 6th 8Vac output to support the new upcoming AYA DAC. So you're covered. There is also a 4th 16Vac output available directly on the T5 transfo if the need arise.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:53 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

All PCB kits are ready to go and include detailed assembly instructions, schematics and parts list. Have fun.
Old 12th November 2007, 05:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Here my own AYA DAC ver 2.0.

Leds on the front are Power On, Lock, and the two digital inputs IN1: Passive, IN2: Active. Two switches, Power-On and Input Selection.

On the back, two Cardas RCA audio out and the two real 75 ohms BNC digital inputs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front-back views_small.jpg (25.9 KB, 526 views)
Old 12th November 2007, 05:12 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Here the inside view. I built an separate enclosure to insulate the transfo PCB (this is version 1.0). I routed the AC supply voltages using twisted pairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside_completed.jpg (92.7 KB, 495 views)
Old 16th November 2007, 07:55 PM   #27
eboz is offline eboz  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eboz
Looks awesome! I am really looking forward to building mine. Just one question though. How does it sound compared to your other DACs??? What are your thoughts? I purchased this DAC based strictly on its engineering merit
Old 4th January 2010, 09:57 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Worked a little bit today on my Aya. I had an unused pair of nice Jupiter 0.47uF caps that I got from an other project. I used it as bypass caps for a very standard 4.7uF Solen caps. I want to try other coupling caps than the BG 4.7uF, type NX I used to have into the Aya. They may be the limiting factor of the nice dac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aya_Jupiter_small.JPG (168.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 5th January 2010, 10:32 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Indeed with these new coupling caps, the DAC just sings. I like this sound much better than with the small BG caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!