32-bit DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 32-bit DAC

Will they ever stop?

Witness the new AK4397 32 bit, 196kHz DAC. Phase-perfect digital filter, fully differential analog out without the need for coupling caps, digital level control (32 bits, remeber). Direct interface to 32-bit path outputs from DSP's.

Jan Didden
Old 19th September 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
giulio is offline giulio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will they ever stop?
Nope. I guess it is some corollary of Moore's law.

giulio
Old 19th September 2007, 01:53 PM   #3
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 32-bit DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Will they ever stop?

Witness the new AK4397 32 bit, 196kHz DAC. Phase-perfect digital filter, fully differential analog out without the need for coupling caps, digital level control (32 bits, remeber). Direct interface to 32-bit path outputs from DSP's.

Jan Didden

Jan,

one techincal query,

when designing a 2 pole low pass filter, how critical are the real values used when compared to calculated values, that will affect the cutoff frequencies, and more importantly the phase.
this is most critical when one is using discrete comps rather laser trim SMDs.

any comments, I think you have some experience in this area.
Old 19th September 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will they ever stop?

digital level control (32 bits, remember).
Jan Didden

Not sure that that gains you all that much. The actual increments or decrements still have to be of a practical size.
Old 19th September 2007, 03:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just received an AKM4397 eval board. I'm hoping to have it hooked up within a week. I'll let folks know how it sounds.

It does include the new National LME49710NA opamps for the active filter.

-David
Old 19th September 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

I'm curious about all the new DACs. I'd look forward to your opinion about this one.

I've read some of your other posts with interest. It's good to hear that someone actually likes the sound of some of the new DACs. I would hope that some of the new digital technology actually sounds as good or better than non-oversampling DACs. Especially, since I don't know of any non-oversampling DACs for Hi-Rez audio. I can't quite imagine a multichannel home theater processor made with those old old technology DACs.

My hope is that in the future, there's will be a multi-channel processor project here, which will decode and convert every conceiveable format including SACD, DVD-Audio, PCM, 16/24/32 bit 44.1-192KHZ , LPCM, MLP, Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master etc. Will have every conceivable input. SPDIF, optical, HDMI, USB ETC. . .

Have tube and transistor output stages. Be modular. And anything else I've forgotten to include.

This way one project could be built and improved upon by anyone looking make a DAC project. To me this would be better than everyone building many different projects.
Old 19th September 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will they ever stop?

Jan Didden
I've had a couple of these lying around for a few weeks. I just haven't been assed to use them for anything.
Old 20th September 2007, 07:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
I just received an AKM4397 eval board. I'm hoping to have it hooked up within a week. I'll let folks know how it sounds.

It does include the new National LME49710NA opamps for the active filter.

-David
Active filter? What I understood from the description is that they used a switched cap filter obviating the need for output filters?

Jan Didden
Old 20th September 2007, 07:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: 32-bit DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98

Jan,

one techincal query,

when designing a 2 pole low pass filter, how critical are the real values used when compared to calculated values, that will affect the cutoff frequencies, and more importantly the phase.
this is most critical when one is using discrete comps rather laser trim SMDs.

any comments, I think you have some experience in this area.
Well you can do the math yourself. Calculate the cut-off freq with the exact design values, then vary the R by, say 1% and/or the C by, say, 5% and see what you get. I don't think it is critical at all. Your cut-off freq may vary a bit, but so what?

Jan Didden
Old 20th September 2007, 07:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: 32-bit DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

I've had a couple of these lying around for a few weeks. I just haven't been assed to use them for anything.

Well one option would be to take a Behringer DCX2496 dig xover with a 32bit DSP path and interface it directly with this DAC.

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!