Marantz CD273-SE Mods - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Nice Lee, how does this thing sound?

Simon
It sounds surprisingly good. In standard form, with all the old Cerafines you can see in the picture it was still better than a standard CD63KI IMO.

I've replaced the diodes with Schottky's and many of the elco's with Nichicon PL, Rubycon ZL and a couple of BG's. The results were way better than my cd67 with the same level of mods. It's not really that far behind my highly modified cd67!

I will re-clock the thing once I can figure out what size cap I would need to convert my Superclock to 11mhz. In the mean time I will add an extra tx and a couple of regs.

Lee.
Old 20th September 2007, 06:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Nice one Phil, thanks for that it's all much, much clearer now.

I have read a few of the threads on the 1541 and was very interested but still quite confused, especially about the DEM re-clocking.

I'll definitely give the flip flop/i2s idea a go.

Don't suppose you have any idea what the little upside-down board is do you?

Lee.
Old 20th September 2007, 06:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Lee,
Glad to be of service
I was going to ask you the same thing about the little board!
It looks like its probably going into pin 1-5, if its going into the '7220 at all, which would be a data input pin of some type.
However, that leg in the photo might be for mechanical support, and it might be a regulator for something else.
It doesn't look particularly stock to me.

DEM reclocking is confusing intially, and only applicable to the TDA1541A.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 20th September 2007, 10:00 PM   #14
awpagan is offline awpagan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
Pic of the shoebox on my (unfinished) diy rack:

Click the image to open in full size.

And as original:

Click the image to open in full size.

Lee.

Hi Lee
That pcb looks exactly like the one in my Marantz cd65.
Even the add-on pcb!

allan
Old 20th September 2007, 10:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Allan.

I think it's very similar to the Philips CD160 also. Thanks for letting me know, it may be easier to find some mods for the CD65.

Have you done any mods to yours? I am curious about the potential of these players after having heard so much good about the TDA1541.

Don't suppose you know what the little board is do you?

Cheers, Lee.
Old 21st September 2007, 06:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am just curious about the TDA1541 dac after having heard so much about it.
(hurray! I got the quote thingy right!)

Well Lee,
I had a relatively heavilly modded CD63 once (no where near to the levels of Simon's or Rowe's mods) and, when it unfortunately died, I headed off down the TDA1541A route.
I was gobsmacked how such a simple circuit compared to the CD63 (admittedly NOS, but with relatively lower on board frequencies, very simple regulation, no reclocking {to start with} etc) sounded so good. At least comparable to the modded CD63.

This was a standalone DAC, so it was easier to work on than a CDP (it has catastrophically failed less than my CD63 did ), but I then added a clock module, redid the regulation for the DAC chip (lm317/337 followed by TL431), got the SAA7220 running (that was a whole new world of pain and comedy for me - there's a thread somewhere on that one - but please don't laugh too much ) - so 4x oversampling, and I can safely say its the nicest source I've ever owned. Perhaps not up there with Simon's or Rowe's, but it sounds great.

This DAC is fed balanced i2s, so there is no conversion to SPDIF, and each subsection (balanced (RS423) i2s receiver, clock module, SAA7220, i2s reclocker, TDA1541A, opamp I/V (next project to go discrete) ) is seperately regulated. The analogue and DAC sections are regulated with LM317/TL431, and the digital circuits are regulated with LM317/7805.

I learnt from modding my CD63 that seperate regulation and reducing power rail interference really did make a big difference. Its typically trickier in an actual player, but still worth doing if you can.

Some say the 1541 isn't as good as some other DACs, but a similar number defend it. And it is common knowledge that the SAA7220 isn't the best digital filter in the world.
However, they aren't rubbish - not by a long shot.

I've still no idea what that board is though - unless its a format converter (is the decoder non Philips or something?).

Cheers,
Phil
Old 21st September 2007, 09:43 AM   #17
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole
I can safely say its the nicest source I've ever owned. Perhaps not up there with Simon's or Rowe's, but it sounds great.

Cheers,
Phil
I dunno Phil, why don't you pop up to Sheffield and listen?

Having been listening to a Rotel RCD-865 briefly, my opinions about my CD63 are reinforced - that it sounds incredibly detailed, dynamic, rich and solid, with very clear precise treble. But it does still sound a little forward and can, at times, be slightly brash. I'd love to hear what else is out there...

Simon
Old 21st September 2007, 09:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

That's interesting.
One thing I expected when going to 4x oversampling was a return to a very bright source, quite harsh and a bit forward.
The original player that I pulled the '7220 out of sounded like that for sure (a Philips CD610 - but it was using a TDA1543, not sure how much difference that makes).

Anyway, when I had it working first of all (without the clock module, and without i2s reclocking) it might of sounded like that, but now it simply doesn't.

Perhaps, there is slightly less bass (as the treble response is increased when oversampling this isn't really a surprise), and the treble detail is much better than in NOS, but it doesn't sound harsh or particularly bright for CD.

If I'm ever in yorkshire for long enough, I'll try and get over and we can do a comparison maybe?
If I can get to the next meet, I shall bring my source with me.
Cheers,
Phil

P.S. what's inside the RCD-865?
Old 21st September 2007, 09:59 AM   #19
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by philpoole
If I'm ever in yorkshire for long enough, I'll try and get over and we can do a comparison maybe?
If I can get to the next meet, I shall bring my source with me.
Cheers,
Phil

P.S. what's inside the RCD-865?
Excellent.

The Rotel is full of Black Gates and polystyrene filter caps! Amazing quality got 20 on Ebay.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...02#post1305302

Simon
Old 21st September 2007, 10:06 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Very minimalist.
Its a CDM4 as well. I prefer the swing arm transports to the CDM12s.
Do you know what DAC it has. I guess its a fairly modern (to me)bitstream or sigma delta DAC - based on the small PCB and low ish component count.

Looks fun to mod

Hide this!Advertise here!